Author Topic: Broken piece of sprocket in sump pan - help please  (Read 2009 times)

Offline RoytheBoy

• View Profile
Broken piece of sprocket in sump pan - help please
« on: October 02, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
Found what looks to be a broken piece of sprocket in the sump pan, scoured the parts & workshop manuals but not easily identifiable (maybe cam sprocket??), however, bike runs/ran nicely when I got it with no unusual sounds - in fact, sounded very nice so maybe something from the past? Hopefully pics attached.......

help identifying it would be great, thanks

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Broken piece of sprocket in sump pan - help please
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
That does look suspiciously like a piece of a cam sprocket, or possibly a primary drive sprocket. Either way I'd be tearing the motor down for further inspection. You were lucky that it didn't get caught in a moving part while you were riding it!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline RoytheBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:38:54 AM »
Cheers....just had a good look at a picture of a camshaft sprocket & I'm inclined to think that's what it is!! Best go look see then :(

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »
 ;) yes  i would agree that is a cam sprocket
but dont strip the engine just yet
you can undo the rocker cover and lift it you might just see that yours is whole ,id be surprised if the bike is still going with that lump of scrap in the sump,its hopefully a old bit
i got caught out myself when a piece of gearbox bearing came out in the oil once.i stripped the engine and found nothing wrong.then a long time later a previous owner told me he sprinted the bike on hill climbs and blow the gearbox.he said he part exchanged it .and the local dealer had to repair it
  so you might be lucky    ::)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 11:18:16 PM »
Hey ho, dealer repairs sometimes done with a close eye on the clock, been there, got the T shirt and found the dammage, my 2nd bike, suuki gs 125, used a small half circlip to locate the cam chain centrally to the chain tunnel. The dull buggers only left it out, ran absolutely fine for 6 months, then camchain rattle caused me to pull the rocker cover and find that bit missing, cost about 50p, left any longer it would have trashed the engine, there was a fair bit of alloy in the oil filter housing and drained oil that time but dammage seemed confined to cosmetic and the bike did many years commuting before I sold it. Given that and that it looks like a cam sprockett, probably worth checking yours is in 1 bit, rocker cover off, not too much of a hardship for peace of mind. Inspect the oil come next oil change for swarf.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline RoytheBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 11:55:54 AM »
Lifted the cam cover yesterday & first look the sprocket seemed shinier than the broken part, turned the engine & it looks ok....phew!!  Probably something previously & been repaired!

I was slightly hopeful, as same as you, I thought it wouldn't run well with a broken sprocket....but as I said, it was running nice...   :)

Good flush required methinks......... cheers guys

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal