Author Topic: Engine assembly question  (Read 3190 times)

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Engine assembly question
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:00:30 PM »
Hello, after about 2 years i managed to put engine back together.
Thank you very much as I wouldn't be able to do it without help from this forum.

I'm looking thru manual now, trying to figure out last bits, i just had a thought that I fitted valve oil control no3 upside down, is it even possible?
Can someone kindly confirm that it only fits one way round? Cylinder block fit in without any trouble, so I think i did it the right way round...

One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Engine assembly question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:49:26 PM »
It will only easily fit one way

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:48:30 AM »
Thank you!

It will only easily fit one way
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 02:09:22 AM »
Big day today for me, engine in one piece and managed to squeeze it into the frame, next time will assembly cylinder block and head in frame... it was bloody hard work to fit whole engine in.

Any ways, was dying to give it few kicks and new oil so all is well lubed inside, as I was fitting new oil filter I found that I'm missing bits from inside of the oil filter bolt, valve check spring and pin.
I wonder how important are those parts, what are they actually doing? and if anyone like to sell them?

Also, what is best way to check if oil runs to the "top" I can't see any oil coming when I look thru tappet adjusting hole.

Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 02:30:46 AM »
here it is, almost two years since it stopped
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
Filled it up with oil, after few kicks there is loud bang sounds like form gearbox, like a jumping "teeth" somewhere.

Also, no oil appears in camshaft.

Gutted, and desperate to find solutions.
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »
It's interesting that while turning engine by the nut on generator , there was no noises, just when I use kick start.
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 05:35:51 AM »
(1) If you are turning it by the nut on the generator it means the cover is off and the oil gallery blanking plug will fire out letting oil go all over the floor

(2) the bits inside the filter bolt are exremely impoetant as without them oil bypasses the filter--easiest way is buy a new bolt they come complete

(3) to see if oil is getting to top end remove the polished end caps and the steel brackets they bolt too and oil should pour out of the bolt hole which is why there is a soft alloy washer between the cam cover and steel bracket

It takes a while for the system to fill and put oil to the top end, maybe 5-10 minutes of kicking

As to bang noise only thing I can think of is kickstart gear

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »
I have had kickstart gears briefly stop working with a bang, probably jumped out of mesh and decided to stick there as dropping the sump revealed no dammage and the kickstart worked fine afterwards, so the next time I had that I just kept using the bike on the electric start and it self cured. Just check thd kickstart leaver and splines as these can break or wear more easily then the internal bits, particuarly the kickstart splines if the bolt clamping the leaver boss isn't tight enough, my 500 one was useless when I bought it thanks to this - new shaft included in sale whic wasn't needed as a new leaver seemed to do the job for a good 160,000 miles.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
Thanks so much for your thoughts, def will check above. I wonder how would messed up gear box behave, I'm wondering as the kick starter doesn't make the noise every time I "kick it".

I will most likely have some time tomorrow night to check the bike, sadly work is getting in the way...
Again, thank you for helping me out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »
Bryanj
Its been a year and not much progress,
Just yesterday I got back to it and as you mentioned oil gallery plug did fire out!
Then I remembered your post, thanks for that, found the plug and put the cover on...

Got the new filter oil bolt.

Set gaps on tappets and now dear I say it engine is done...

(1) If you are turning it by the nut on the generator it means the cover is off and the oil gallery blanking plug will fire out letting oil go all over the floor

(2) the bits inside the filter bolt are exremely impoetant as without them oil bypasses the filter--easiest way is buy a new bolt they come complete

(3) to see if oil is getting to top end remove the polished end caps and the steel brackets they bolt too and oil should pour out of the bolt hole which is why there is a soft alloy washer between the cam cover and steel bracket

It takes a while for the system to fill and put oil to the top end, maybe 5-10 minutes of kicking

As to bang noise only thing I can think of is kickstart gear
Honda CB550F 1976

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal