Author Topic: Hello from a lurker...  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Hello from a lurker...
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »
Hi I'm restoring a 72 CB500/4 and a 72 CB350/4, a 76 CL450 twin, as well as a CB360 twin, so my leisure time is mapped out for this winter.
I'm from Weymouth in Dorset, I am a Scuba Diving Charter boat skipper, I'm not married and have no children, so I have no competition for my time.
I've completed the cycle parts on all the bikes, and now have to do the engines, that's the fun part for me. I've fitted LED bulbs in the indicators, and tail lamps, as well as the clocks, with the exception of the turn repeater which I left as an incandescent bulb. The headlamps are traditional incandescents for now.
I've bust a cylinder stud on the 500, and a PO has snapped off a bolt in the 350's sump. Apart from that, so far there are no problems that haven't been overcome. The Carbs were full of something organic, and it wasn't dinosaur bones.. ....I've fitted new tyres, new exhausts, 8 silencers and down pipes..that hurt my wallet! New seats, wiring harnesses, and loads of parts.... Still have to paint the tanks and side panels.
I'm glad to be a part of this forum.
Nigel.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from a lurker...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
Welcome Nigel  !  Nice list of projects you have there. Any pics to share?

Nice 'searchable' ..PDF 360 manual on my Dropbox plus others if you don't have them already.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.msg60526.html#msg60526

TO OTHER LURKERS ....PLEASE DONT LURK .. come on here properly. You have joined the best bike forum that SteveD has created .. so get the posts rolling in and make it even better.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »
Hello Nigel and welcome to the forum , as Ash says we like photos so post some up when you get chance ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
Welcome!! Post pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
Hi Nigel, welcome aboard fella, sounds like a lot of stuff to have on the go at once
pete

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:50:29 AM »
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC, nice collection of bikes you have. A shed load of good info to be had from this mad bunch ;D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:08:06 AM »
What I did on the 750K0 snapped stud was ground off the top of the broken stud flat (actually very slightly concave usinga Dremel)  (it had broken off in a recess slightly below the crankcase alloy surface, so I couldnt weld a nut onto it as some people have done) . I then accurately centre punched the 'flat' face then fitted the barrels (I had some scrap ones to use) with a stainless steel bit of tube, which was a nice fit in the barrel hole and chose a long series drill which matched the ID of the stainless tube. With this you can accurately drill a concentric pilot hole into the broken off stud. I then reamed out a bit of the same pipe to the OD of an M8 tapping drill ( 6.80mm) and drilled out the stud to the M8 tapping size. I know you can get these spark eroded out but it's expensive around here to get done plus I don't like rare parts getting out of my site and trusting to someone else that I don't know.

Ash
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:10:10 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline keithK2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
Welcome Nigel,
I am in Poole so if you need any assistance (you seem to have most things covered) let me know.

Keith

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal