Author Topic: Motad Swoopy Pipe Exhaust  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Motad Swoopy Pipe Exhaust
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:08 PM »
Hi Guys, I just bought a new motad full exhaust (copy of the Honda system). My bike has a period Micron exhaust, which looks OK apart from some inner swollen rings on the can. I just wanted to ask if the Motad system works well and looks right on the 400f? Also I believe it is the same system sold by DSS?   I should add I don't have the exhaust in my hands yet!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:16:45 PM by Johndoc »

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Motad Swoopy Pipe Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »
Does anyone have this system fitted to their bike?

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:32:28 PM »
Hi John,
I have one of these systems fitted. Mine came from DSS early this year, but they now sell a different system with two pipes welded to the collector as per the original. Don't know who makes it or where it is from.
My system is chromed, Motad now sell stainless downpipes and collector, I think through their eBay shop. Silencer is not by Motad, I don't think they make that bit.
The system looks and sounds fine. Alignment of my downpipes is not quite 'right', seems the bends are not quite right but this may vary between systems.
The advice from DSS and Motad at the time was to assemble using a rubber hammer but I decided I'd live with the misalignment - I think I'd have had to hit things pretty hard to have any effect.
Otherwise it is fine, looks far better to me than the exhaust that was fitted when I bought the bike (a 'standard' Motad).

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:14:45 PM »
Thanks Chris, that's the kind of info I was hoping for. Looking at the different photos of these systems they do look quite good and certainly better than the one I have currently on the bike, the Micron is OK but does not reflect the rest of the bike in terms of condition. I paid just over £300 for the whole system and feel that is reasonable given it will improve the looks and condition of the bike overall. I am prepared to work with the new exhaust to get it looking as well as I can, will keep you posted!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:30:36 AM »
David at Saisei sent me a CMS set of downpipes to try on my bike 'cos another member bought it and it hit the sump when he fitted it. I managed to fit the downpipes/collector OK and with a gap that is the same as my standard one. However, he never sent the silencer (they are made by Britura in the UK)  so I fitted my Genuine Honda silencer but its angled out slightly so I can't align the silencer mounting holes with the frame bracket tapped insert holes . Going to slacken the downpipes again and try to align. The collector looks really nice,the same style as the OEM Honda ( Sankei) one. Only negative point is the pipes are not double-skinned, which is a real shame. Problem is I can't remember if the stock system needed any 'tweaking' to fit as I got it so long ago.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:29:03 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
This photo hopefully shows the misalignment of the downpipes I mentioned.
Number 3 pipe is further in than it should be to line up with the others.
I managed to get hold of another number 3 to try but it was the same as the one I had so I'm living with it.
At the time I bought mine DSS sold all the bits individually so I got them to put together a list of all the parts I would need.
Turned out the only thing I'd missed was the stand rubber stop but even then I had no bolts for silencer to mounting bracket.
Interesting to read more on the CMS pipe issues. Has anyone else had issues fitting either of these systems?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »
Strange why that pipe should do that Chris, I was trying to work out why, but the only thing I can think of is that the pipe is shorter at the exhaust port. Are these the Motad stainless pipes?

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
John, These are the chromed pipes which Motad made before they switched to the stainless version.
I suspect they may well be manufactured using the same jigs, or whatever they use.
The alignment at the top of the pipes is pretty good. If you can picture the bends in the pipe in the vertical plane it seems that the
angle at the top is slightly too small and the angle at the bottom is slightly too large by a corresponding amount. So the pipes align
at the ports and the collector but the bottom of the pipe is further back than it should be. It only has to be a couple of degrees out
to be noticeable. The complex bends on these pipes cannot be easy to replicate.
I believe DSS used various methods to get the pipes aligned when they fitted these systems, maybe that's why they stopped selling them.
Still curious as to anyone else's experience with these pipes as I know others have purchased them, or if anyone else has had issues with
the CMS pipes Ash has been playing with

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:23:09 PM »
Hi Chris, yes it would be interesting to hear how others have gotten on with these systems, mine arrived today (stainless version), probably wont be fitting them for a while as I debate with myself about stripping the engine. I have taken the micron off and notice it does not use exhaust collars, so will need to get a set of those (suggestions welcome!) I attach a pic of the Micron before it was removed.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
Part No for collar is 18233-303-010. DS have them at £3.75, that's £36 for a set with VAT (+ postage).
Sounds a lot but from a quick look I don't think you'll find good used ones much cheaper.

Anyone else have comments on fitting replica exhausts?

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
Chris, just found a full set in my box of bits, very happy!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:52:11 PM by Johndoc »

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »
That's handy! What will you do with the money you've saved?

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
Hey Chris I am sure I will find something to spend it on as the engine is about to come out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal