Author Topic: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?  (Read 7182 times)

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
When I restored my 400 I had a struggle finding a couple of original parts that I had to have, even on a well known auction site looking world wide......... Things are better now with the repo stuff so what is the hardest part to find for a 400/4 now.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: The Original Part You Found Hardest To Find?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »
It took me ages to get a decent airbox
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:09:53 AM »
...after 2+ yrs I'm still looking for UK Spec 750K2 handlebars. DSS part on it now - holes in wrong place, bars canted & look all wrong. Guess it's a problem due a relatively small market (ie UK part #). Won't waste more money on repro 'bars.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 08:03:12 AM »
...after 2+ yrs I'm still looking for UK Spec 750K2 handlebars. DSS part on it now - holes in wrong place, bars canted & look all wrong. Guess it's a problem due a relatively small market (ie UK part #). Won't waste more money on repro 'bars.

Is this the problem that the grip is 20mm from the switch ?
If so, I was told that it was a design feature so that the extra High/ low switch would fit on the left side of the main switch. I have had these wrong UK repro bars from USA, Germany, Canada and Holland. Funny thing is the new repro 400 bars have the same problem but, do not need the extra High/Low switch.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
Decent ---286-- 'Fat' cam for CB250/350K0-> early K2 and cam followers... they are always sh*gged, even low milers from the States . The one that gave the 250 30HP and the 325 cc (350) 36 BHP. Or even a decent ---312--- cam for that matter. DK sold me a decent one, only to ship it in a plastic bag with no padding and the advance shaft got broken off in transit  :'(

Got some 750K2 nice bars as a spare with my K0 .. Now I know why they got snapped up on eBay for 25 quid. Didn't realize they are so rare.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:35:15 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:43:30 AM »
25mm fuse's  ;D ;D 30mm fit fine  ::)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
Any part of a 750F1 exhaust, new!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
Hi Trig,

Yep, there is a gap between the grip & switch, though an annoying 5mm and not enough for the hi-low switch thing. (which would push the main switch / mirror out too far I'd have though if inserted there?)  But bottom line the drillings are just misplaced meaning the switch locating lugs mean the bars have to be canted too far forward - looks odd let alone that the clutch / brake levers are a reach down as well as out! As I say, don't trust the pattern bars now, unsure what to do.. American OEM bars?

Simon

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:56 PM »
You seem to have a smaller gap than me. Would love it to be only 5mm, If it is only 5mm that would mean that the bars are a repro of the K6, which has the bigger switch.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 10:23:31 PM »
The part I looked for the longest for my 400 (about 2 years ) but I had to just have it!....was the petrol pipe protector its just a coil of wire, but I wanted one. I ended up buying a group of parts from eBay USA for about $15 and $10 postage. I made my money back selling the other bits over here, I'm not a rivet counter or anything, it was just a challenge as it gets lost from 400's,how many 400's on here still have it attached?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 07:16:45 AM »
...funny old thing Dave I found that easily... Wemoto as I remember. Granted, maybe not OEM but certainly perfect enough.

But... have you tried to find the 4 weeny black plastic caps that fit over the car air screws?  Good luck with that one!

Simon.

(PS, I did, tracked down a set at bloody £2 each)

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 08:24:28 AM »
You seem to have a smaller gap than me.

Really?😀
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »
The part I looked for the longest for my 400 (about 2 years ) but I had to just have it!....was the petrol pipe protector its just a coil of wire, but I wanted one. I ended up buying a group of parts from eBay USA for about $15 and $10 postage. I made my money back selling the other bits over here, I'm not a rivet counter or anything, it was just a challenge as it gets lost from 400's,how many 400's on here still have it attached?

The heat shield spring is used on many motorcross bikes and anything off road >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bike-Cycle-Fuel-Petrol-Wire-Pipe-Safety-Spring-Cover-Heat-Guard-Shield-ATV-/171959925173?hash=item28099c39b5:g:mHUAAOSw4iRWE5yS

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »
...funny old thing Dave I found that easily... Wemoto as I remember. Granted, maybe not OEM but certainly perfect enough.

But... have you tried to find the 4 weeny black plastic caps that fit over the car air screws?  Good luck with that one!

Simon.

(PS, I did, tracked down a set at bloody £2 each)

I looked for that specific part as a challenge just to see if I could get it, my carbs had the plastic caps on the screws I'm glad I never needed to track those down! I reckon you did well finding those. I still have a couple of parts I'd like to find but its not the end of the world if they don't turn up.

Cheers...Dave

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »

The heat shield spring is used on many motorcross bikes and anything off road >>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Bike-Cycle-Fuel-Petrol-Wire-Pipe-Safety-Spring-Cover-Heat-Guard-Shield-ATV-/171959925173?hash=item28099c39b5:g:mHUAAOSw4iRWE5yS

That part looks close but no cigar......I only wanted 400/4 specific parts.

Cheers.......Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal