Author Topic: Touch up paint  (Read 4974 times)

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Touch up paint
« on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
Any one know if there are any commercial touch up kits that are a close match to the CB400 F2 red.  Managed to pick up a small stone chip about 1.5mm diameter on the tank last weekend.

This has exposed bare metal so needs something on it very soon.

This tank has OEM paint so are there any compatability issues with off the shelf primers if I were to use U POL Acid #8 as I happen to have some lying around.

thanks
Dave.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
Re: Touch up paint
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »
Is that the light ruby red or the darker metallic red (Candy Antares red)?

If it is the light ruby red just take the bike to a paintshop and they can match that.
Either with a matching card or with a read-out paintscanner.
They can make you a small doses to help you out.

If it's the candy antares red.... well it is not really possible to touch up candy.
Maybe you could try to do the same with a colourmap as above. The read-out paintscanner will probably not work on candy anyway (Not sure) since candy is build up out of different layers.

Maybe, if the damage is realy small, simply touch up with clear coat.....

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »
If it's F2 it will be Candy Antares Red Menno
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
Its the  candy antares red.

The chip is so small, any red that's close enough should do, If I can't find anything then I have some clear coat from a car touch up pen.

Thanks
Dave

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »
RS Paints are very good at supplying motorcycle colours.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »
I still have some of the metallic that I painted my tank with in 1986 but dunno what type of match it would be. However, I have a scrap Antares red tank that I can compare with.
Here is  my tank and pinstripes that I sprayed myself when I was a much younger, thinner  and braver man !

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
This, as my missus warns me, would be suitable fodder for 'Extreme Hoarders'  ;D The 1986 paint I used for the tank and pinstripes. Amazingly the red is still liquid in the tin (cellulose). Sad or what, James was probably not even born then.

Let me know if you want a bit to touch up Dave.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:43:22 AM by AshimotoK0 »

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
Thanks for the offer,  I'll have a trawl round the paint suppliers locally and see what turns up.

If you have the recipie for the red paint that may be a start.

PS I thought I was a hoarder, there's three old tanks and a set of front forks in my loft somewhere together with BW TV with valves in it.

Dave

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:38:47 PM »
Thanks for the offer,  I'll have a trawl round the paint suppliers locally and see what turns up.

If you have the recipie for the red paint that may be a start.

PS I thought I was a hoarder, there's three old tanks and a set of front forks in my loft somewhere together with BW TV with valves in it.

Dave

Sorry no paint code on tin ...long gone. It was a BL colour as I remember, possibly Montego (Ault & Wiborg Paints in Essex). ( that's Montego and Allegro mentioned in posts on the same day  ;D)

You could try the metallic  red the same as Ronnie Pickering's Citroen Picasso   :D

Do you remember Philips G6 CTV with valve EHT that produced X-rays?

Ash

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »
After mainly working on BW sets, those early color TV's scared the hell out of me with all of the warning messages on the covers and the additional EHT voltage.

Removing the first anode connector on the CRT for replacement always resulted in sweaty hands gripping the discharge probe.

All the Best
Dave

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
this could be risky,

but how about nail varnish ??

you said it was a tiny area,may get a good match,

the difficult bit would be checking all the colours on display,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »
When I worked for Panasonic,  EHT belts were fairly common.  Prior to the engineer's Christmas meal I got 2 LOPTs,  sprayed one gold and one silver.  I mounted them on little mahogany plinths and got some plaques engraved with;  Repairmans Electric Shock of the Year.  We presented them to the winner and runner up of what we judged to be the best EHT belt.  (mere 240V belts don't count)
That was back in 1898, I wonder if the trophies still survive.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
If it really is just a pimple you are looking to touch in, may I suggest Maybelline Super Stay Gel nail colour in Rouge Profound (Deep Red) No.06. It touched in a pimple on my Candy Antares Red 400/4 really well. I finished it off with the clear lacquer, of the same brand and you can't see it at all. I also have the matching lipstick if your interested  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
Now that's the sort of gen that no bloke (I hope) is going to know.   Thanks Julie.
BTW, as you know,  I've got a candy antares red tank that needs a touch up.

PS.  It would be more logical if Maybelline called it candy antares red and not rouge something.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
I just knew my girlie knowledge would come in handy on this forum one day.
Maybe I should make a nail varnish touch up chart for SOHC's......now, there's a thought  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal