Author Topic: Clutch and master cylinder levers  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Clutch and master cylinder levers
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
Hi guys,

since I am getting rid of the switches in my handle bars I'm trying to source a clutch and master cylinder lever set, there are tones on eBay but all of them have the ball at the end of the lever which is not the look I'm looking for, I like this ones:

Kustom tech but they are $$$$$ I can't afford them I can't source not even a set without the ball at the end of the lever.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch and master cylinder levers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
You could always grind the ball off the end, it is easy to work with alloy. The ball is there to stop your hand slipping off the lever ;)

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »

You could always grind the ball off the end, it is easy to work with alloy. The ball is there to stop your hand slipping off the lever ;)

I'm doing that this weekend!!!!

Thanks trigger

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »

I thought the ball ended lever was to prevent in acting as a sharp rod and puncturing you if it falls on you
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:07:09 PM »
I know it used to be if the ball end was broken off it was an mot fail but not sure about removing them, worth checking with your mot man

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »
The DVLA document 'Motorcycle parts checked at an MOT' says about the clutch lever:
"This will be inspected to check that it isn’t so bent, damaged or shortened that it can’t easily be used."
No obvious mention of ball ends having to be present but as Bryan says probably worth checking with an MOT man.
DVLA document here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-parts-checked-at-an-mot/motorcycle-parts-checked-at-an-mot

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »
Technically it is a MOT fail, because the lever is not complete but, you can change them very easy for the day  ;D

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »

Technically it is a MOT fail, because the lever is not complete but, you can change them very easy for the day  ;D

In my opinion if you can buy them with or without the ball there should not be any problems with the MOT there are many shapes out there....

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
If the end is smothed off properly and don't look as if it's snapped off it shouldn't be reason to fail it.   A lot of old Brit bikes didn't have balls on the lever ends either.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 06:50:01 AM »
Ah but this is where the differences between Construction and Use rules and MOT rules show up

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »
Just had a quick look through several hundred clutch levers on eBay while having the morning coffee.
Loads of colours and designs but pretty much all with ball ends apart from a couple of replica levers intended for Brit bikes and a few 'custom' ones.
I'm with John, I thought the ball end was intended to reduce the likelihood you (or anyone else) being impaled by the lever in the event of an accident.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
IIRC from when I was Classic racing it was an ACU scrutineering requirement to have ball ended levers, to make sure noone got impaled by one in a crash.

No such requirement for the road AFIK, as has been said there are lots of old Brit bikes with pointy (steel) lever ends, but a lever with the end clearly broken off would be a fail.

I went the other way with my CB750 and bought the black rubber caps that fit over the balls, if I can say that without going 'Oo er missus!'
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »
It largely depends on how picky the MOT tester is.  I've been to a few that just about count the wheels,  take down the mileage and issue a chitty.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal