Author Topic: MacGyver  (Read 1973 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
MacGyver
« on: October 10, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
Some guy on HondaTwins site suggested I am obviously  a fan of MacGyver ... had to Google that one  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: MacGyver
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 07:27:31 AM »
you cant be him as you don't use string and paperclips!!

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »
No sorry, you've lost me! Who's McGyver?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »
No sorry, you've lost me! Who's McGyver?
Series overview[edit]

Main articles: List of MacGyver episodes and Organizations in MacGyver
The series revolved around MacGyver, whose main asset is his practical application of scientific knowledge and inventive use of common items – along with his ever-present Swiss Army knife. The clever solutions MacGyver implemented to seemingly unsolvable problems – often in life-or-death situations requiring him to improvise complex devices in a matter of minutes – were a major attraction of the show, which was praised[by whom?] for generating interest in the applied sciences, particularly engineering,[2][dubious – discuss] and for providing entertaining story-lines. All of MacGyver's exploits on the show were ostensibly vetted[by whom?] to ensure a basis on scientific principles (even though, the creators acknowledged,[citation needed] in real life one would have to be extraordinarily lucky for most of MacGyver's ideas to succeed). In the few cases where MacGyver used household chemicals to mix up poisons, explosives, or other things deemed too dangerous to be accurately described to the public, details were altered or left vague.[3]

The use of ordinary household items to jury-rig devices shows an influence from The A-Team (though MacGyver eschews firearms). The idea has entered United States popular culture: such constructions are referred to as "MacGyverisms" (a term first used in episode 3 of season 2, "Twice Stung"). "MacGyver" has become a verb, as in "The car broke down but he MacGyvered a fix to get home", and was even used in Stargate SG-1, a later show featuring Richard Dean Anderson as a protagonist. The show often dealt with social issues, though more so in seasons 4–7 than 1–3, which were mostly about MacGyver's adventures working for the United States government and later for the Phoenix Foundation.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
Got ya. I remember that now, from the 90's. Didn't watch it though, but going to watch an episode on YouTube. Think the remark may be a bit of a compliment Ash, Superhero type etc.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
I often say to my wife "I done a McGyver on it" and she knows exactly what I mean.  ;D
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »
I only know about it from the Simpsons, as Marge's sisters Pattie and Selma's lives used to revolve around watching McGyver.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal