Author Topic: Time for you 500/4 guys to pass on your wisdom !  (Read 9407 times)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Time for you 500/4 guys to pass on your wisdom !
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
Those two DS parts are not mentioned as its only heavy handed PO's that damage them mate

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 09:55:17 PM »
Well I just treat myself to a new Genuine Honda front guard ... Anyone got a decent 3-hole USA style rear  thats suitable for a re-chrome?

Is the 750 one the same apart from minor changes ..like length of wiring tunnel.

Dug out the front wheel that was on my 750K0 originally  ... assume it's the same rim as the 500 (its a K1 wheel and I had to get a proper K0 750 one for my 750 Grrrr ! even the disc and hub width was different on the 750K0 to the K1->K6).

What size is the front disc on the CB500F  .... is it smaller than the 750?  As you can gather complete Newbie on this 'un  :)

Cheers ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »
Ash - hold fire on a rear fender as I think I've got that covered. Will explain on pm..

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 07:02:24 AM »
Not sure if 750 rim is wider or not but hub and speedo drive is same, 500 disc is smaller but dont  tell the breakers that the 500 twin is the same part

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »
Well I just treat myself to a new Genuine Honda front guard ... Anyone got a decent 3-hole USA style rear  thats suitable for a re-chrome?

Is the 750 one the same apart from minor changes ..like length of wiring tunnel.

Dug out the front wheel that was on my 750K0 originally  ... assume it's the same rim as the 500 (its a K1 wheel and I had to get a proper K0 750 one for my 750 Grrrr ! even the disc and hub width was different on the 750K0 to the K1->K6).

What size is the front disc on the CB500F  .... is it smaller than the 750?  As you can gather complete Newbie on this 'un  :)

Cheers ... Ash

Can I ask were you found a 500K0 original front mudguard ? I could not find one for my UK, 500KO so, had to use the 750K and used the old stays (re-chromed).

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »
That's exactly what I am doing Graham ! If the chroming on the blade turn out to be sh*te it's going straight back though. Last time I bought an early 750K1/K2 Genuine Honda one I sent it back due to pinholes in the chroming and they had to go through 14 to find me a decent one. Never did use it on my 750 though as it should be double-cut, bought it for 75 and sold it on for 200 , ah those were the days when Honda prices were 'reasonable'.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 06:33:37 AM »
Hi Oddjob please let me know what you have as I will need all of the items you mention. I do have a rim I was prepping for a rechrome but I will hold fire for a bit. Sounds  like your loft is a bit like mine  ;D ;D.. Groaning under the weight of bike parts.. I have banned the rest of the family from going up there !

Cheers  ... Ash
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:38:55 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
Is it 'Time of the year' for Lofts.......I have also just installed a new Loft Ladder.......two man job said the Instructions........ha said I.......not a problem said I........4 days later after much effing and jeffing 'twas finished! Yes you CAN fit the springs with the ladder down - despite what the instructions say.....but guess what....had to take it all down again and fitted the springs from inside the loft space. talking to my Builder a few days later he told me how his Opo tried to fit the springs on his own.....spring snapped back at it's extremity and sliced right through his palm and fingers. Very, very nasty injury which kept him off work for a long time - GULP. One for the memory bank methinks!
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 05:08:11 PM »
Need advice .. Got the 500K0 nearly totally stripped ( not engine) and good news that forks, cam/rockers  and rear drum are all fine. However the two engine mount  bolts (front, bottom)  are really tight. I don't want to break the crankcase lugs. Any ideas? Not heated anything up yet, just soaked in WD40. Thought of Mig welding a blob onto the side of the nut to get some localized heat into it. Is this a common problem?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
Common problem with any bolt that has not moved since 1971, get a blow touch on it until it starts to glow and it will fall out easy.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
I just hope you dont get one as stubborn as the last one Iihad stuck in that position, even heated to red hot I found it wouldn't budge, it did break the web that held the nut in position under the engine, then I had to gas axe it out. Deffinately use soaking in wd40 or plus gas or my favorite, old engine oil and wd40 mixed, and heat rather than force. Worth cutting the bolt head off I think.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »
I have heard that diesel fuel makes a good penetrating fluid,and fairly cheep at £1.10 a litre
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 07:06:52 AM »
Cheers for replies .. So plenty of heat then Graham........  we have a Mapp gas burner at work I will borrow that. I did think of cutting off the head of the  bolts Matt  but what do you do if the steel in corroded and seized into the alloy as you need to push the remains of the bolt through? suppose you could carefully drill it out.  All the other bolts on the bike came out really easily... buy yea 44 years is a long time to corrode. I wan't to be really careful on this one so as not to damage the cases.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:11:56 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
I know what you mean about not wanting to dammage cases having done this myself, but luckily on a nondescript cb550k3 with a non original engine. I think if the heat route doesn't work then I would try to cut through the nut ( just one side would quite likely be enough, - use of a dremel to finish the cut once too close for comfort with Mr grinder ) on the underside of the engine as on mine it was the nut attempting to turn as I applied torque that split the webbing on the crankcase, in reality, purely cosmetic bar the inconvienience of having to apply a 17mm spanner rather than rely on captive nut but on a 500k0 I can see you don't want that.
If that failed then probably cutting the head off the bolt and parrellel pin punch the remains out, if that is not budgingit then a 1mm slitting disk in the grinder, turn the bike on its side and use a pry bar to just open the frame enough to get the disk between frame and engine casing before removing all other bolts, then drill out anything that won't punch out. I deal with a lot of bolts this age and that siezed up at work and some have litreally needed completely drilling out, even that last 1/2 mm down just one side of the hole. I hope yours is not that siezed up.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 12:30:44 PM »
Great advice Matt ...bet you must get some really rusted bits of machinery at your place.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal