Author Topic: Pillion foot pegs  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Dave487

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Pillion foot pegs
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:00:58 PM »
I've started stripping my 400-4 and a few things are already apparent, but the main one at the moment is that mine is an F1 and the pillion foot pegs are attached to the swing arm, the pivots are really badly worn and will need to be re-worked somehow but has anyone modified an F1 to mount the foot pegs on to the frame and if so is there a kit or modification parts available as I thinks it's a bit stupid to have the pillion passengers feet on an unsprung part of bike.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Pillion foot pegs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
The rear foot pegs on the swing arm identify the 400 as a early one. To move these will not be easy and will de-value your bike, if it is STD.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
The later, F2 frames had frame mounted pillion footrests.   I don't know if anyone's modified an F1 frame but I wouldn't have thought it's too difficult - depending on your or your mate's skills.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »
The rear foot pegs on the swing arm identify the 400 as a early one. To move these will not be easy and will de-value your bike, if it is STD.

+1 Exactly what I was going to say.

I had an interim  model once.  It was F1 styling (i.e Varnish blue tank) but loops for the pillion pegs.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:29:31 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »
The rear foot pegs on the swing arm identify the 400 as a early one.

Not in my case Graham,my bike is a 77 so a F2 and it had the swingarm footpegs.
Ooh and i ground the feckers off 😂
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »
Yup, the loop footrests are peculiar to the European market, .... USA, Oz etc all stuck with the swing arm footrests as an international parts manual will indicate.

This must have been added expense / tooling for Honda, you gotta ask why?

I've a late 77 F2 American origin model... with swing arm footrests. (but would prefer the loops!)

Simon.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:27:52 AM »
The rear foot pegs on the swing arm identify the 400 as a early one.

Not in my case Graham,my bike is a 77 so a F2 and it had the swingarm footpegs.
Ooh and i ground the feckers off 😂

Your 400 is a confusing unit, not a UK bike and with paper work that states it is under 400cc, makes the engine look like a Jap unit  ;)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »
I am building a JDM CB250 '69 Dream and I have found a club in Japan that sells members paper photocopies of Japanese Honda manuals (not .PDF!).
My man in Japan is getting me copies of the JDM CB250 and JDM CD250 (Type 2 360 degree crank,rotary gear change) relevant parts manuals 'lcos some Dutch T**t on another forum has the manuals but says he's too busy to look me up any part numbers.

If anyone is interested in the manual for the 400F specific to the JD market then I can get that too. will be in Japanese of course but the exploded diagrams and part numbers are enough for me. think manuals copies work out at about 8 quid each but only available to Japanese  club members from what I can gather.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Dave487

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 10:42:13 AM »
Thanks for the info' guys. Looks like I'm stuck with it unless I can find someone to bend tube to the required radius, I can make up the mountings but bending tube accurately needs the proper kit.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 10:57:13 AM »
I suppose another alternative would be if you could find someone with a scrap later model frame and get the loops from that.
I don't know if Steve at 400fourbits (http://www.400fourbits.co.uk/) may be able to help - could be worth a shot.
Failing that maybe a breaker.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »

+1 Exactly what I was going to say.

I had an interim  model once.  It was F1 styling (i.e Varnish blue tank) but loops for the pillion pegs.

Evidently frame loop pillion rests for UK bikes from VIN 1056883

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal