Author Topic: CB350F crankshaft oil seal leak  (Read 7127 times)

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: CB350F crankshaft oil seal leak
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »
On the 400F it is possible to split the engine upside down with the top end in place. I replaced the camchain and primary chain that way some years ago. You might need to drop the cam sprocket off the camshaft though if you want the crankshaft out.  However,  if you only need the clearance to slip on a replacement seal than I would try pushing the cam chain tensioner plunger all the way back and locking it.

I made a similar slip up and got one of the blanking plugs/seal on the end of the gear shaft in wrong which blew out and dumped oil everywhere. There's a piece on the seal that locates in a recess  on the crank case. It's all too easy for it to spin round when you're playing with the gearshafts.

Best Regards
Dave

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »
Thanks guys.

After a lifetime in engineering I put a seal in the wrong way round. "What a Muppet". I'm going to be sat in a window dribbling by the time I'm 60 at this rate. ;D

;D ;D ;D you have a long way to go Roy, only start to worry when you start licking the condensation from the inside of the window's  ;D ;D

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »
Thanks guys.

After a lifetime in engineering I put a seal in the wrong way round. "What a Muppet". I'm going to be sat in a window dribbling by the time I'm 60 at this rate. ;D

;D ;D ;D you have a long way to go Roy, only start to worry when you start licking the condensation from the inside of the window's  ;D ;D

Is that from experience Trig  ;D :P
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
Thanks guys.

Paul, I have the cleanest workshop window's  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:28:35 PM by Trigger »

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »
Thanks guys.

;D ;D

Paul, I have the cleanest workshop window's  ;D ;D ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
Just thought I would keep this thread up to date as loads of you replied. Thanks for that.

The wrong way around seal put a bit of a downer on the project so I had a couple of weeks off from it. During that 2 weeks I got all the necessary seals and gaskets ordered, got 2 seals as I decided to have a go at Orcadians fix first. Its not that I didn't want to take the time to remove the engine, I just didn't want to risk damaging the paint on the engine or the frame.

As the seal was the wrong way round with the steel liner showing I carefully drilled it 2mm and put a screw in to pull out the steel cage. After removing the spring the seal then prised out of the housing very easily.

Gave everything a good clean and oiled the seal and shaft. Unlike Orcadians fix I did not use Hylomar as I was afraid of it blocking the oil drain hole. I started the seal at a slight angle tapping it gently, with my small soft mallet, in a circular motion until all the circumference of the seal had started. Then I knocked it home with a socket just smaller than the OD. It was obvious when the lip of the seal entered the slot as it jumped into place almost on its own.

I then ran the engine on the starter with plugs out. The pressure came up straight away and not a single drop of oil came out. I tried it over and over again and all is good.

So the seal is fixed and it took all of 10 minutes. Remember though that the seal was in the wrong way round. Had the seal been in correctly with it's lip in the slot I doubt I would have got it out that easily.

Project now back on track. Thanks, not just for the advice, but for the words of encouragement. Cheers.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

One seal in place as Honda intended. Hooray!!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:48:47 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline beemsquar

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
Good to hear it Royhall!

I've had a few of those one step forward two step back scenarios myself and know how you feel.

Glad to hear all is good and you can continue on!

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »
Great result Roy. I bet that was a relief.

Lots of time saved there.  8)
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline MikeSB6

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 02:29:38 PM »
Congratulations Roy,

there is a tool which looks like a handle with a flat shaft extending from it, with a 'beak' shape on each side which can be used to prise oil seals out, if you have the clearance,

Cheers, MikeJ

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
That's great to hear Roy,
glad you are back to a good place and that it is again oil leak free like all good Hondas!  Wish I could say the same for this 350 Norton I'm on with at the moment.  I have tried to 'engineer out' as many leaks as possible but the primary chain case is nearly impossible - belt drive and diaphragm clutch and no oil would be an answer.

Ian

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
A lot of oil leaks on British bikes, I found, was due to porous castings. Even after painting the insides with epoxy paint they still leaked. Guess its part of the character of the bikes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
Leaks in British bikes.....ha.....I was drooling over a brand new Triumph in the showroom of 'Sports Motorcycles' in Manchester (the shop of the Steve Wynne/ Mike Hailwood Ducati fame) in the 70's.....on the nice shiny floor under the Triumph engine was a small dollop of oil......another chap spotted the oil and said to his mate 'See - they even drip oil when they are empty'. Happy daze.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal