Author Topic: Correct way to mount original HM 323 exhausts on a CB500  (Read 2925 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Correct way to mount original HM 323 exhausts on a CB500
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:04:15 PM »
On http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.msg925422#msg925422new Sohron demonstrates with mouthwatering pictures how to install a stock 4-4 exhaust on a 550K.
At the moment I've mounted my set on a CB500 (brackets and exhausts are identical with 550) the way he describes, be it that I have not torqued the nuts down yet. Is there anybody that has a stock CB500 with original exhausts that can tell whether Sohron's description goes for the 500 too? Does anyone have a photo or document that can tell? It is about the rear brackets and the frame ear (8th picture). Sohron has one bracket mounted against the outside of that frame ear and one against the inside. It could very well be the same goes for the CB500. I had mine mounted before both brackets against the outside and now I am in doubt. Seen from the front it now (Sohrons way) looks perfect but in the rear the balancer tubes are a bit farther away of each other than before. What makes it difficult to decide is, that there is a possibility that because of the way I had mounted them before two brackets (lower pipes 2 and 3) became bent somewhat causing now the balancer tubes to be less in line.
BTW I have the impression both ways are possible as far as the connection headers-engine. It's just I would like to have it he original way. BTW, my CB500 is a K2 (ED) built around 1976.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:35:13 PM by deltarider »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Correct way to mount original HM 323 exhausts on a CB500
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
You will have to experiment. You will know when it is right when the centre stand locates on the rubber stop, in the right place. I also had this problem on a K0, and found that if the OEM exhausts were both on the outside of the frame mounts, it missed the rubber stop.
On the other hand, I had a set that fitted right when they were both mounted to the outside of the frame on a K1.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »
Trigger and Oddjob thanks. The way I had mounted them before was pretty close and good enough to have a good working exhaust. I can't recall if I made a mistake when I mounted my (2nd) set many years ago or that I have copied the way I found the old (1st) set mounted. Intrigued by Sohron's description I decided to investigate. I guess what has happened is this. The brackets are somewhat forgiving and torqueing the 10 mm bolt that goes through the footpeg accomodated a good working exhaust by bending the bracket of the lower pipe (mistakenly mounted on the outside) somewhat. Now, where a 10 mm bolt can easily do that, I can't expect the rubber connecting tube to undo it and bend it back. So the irony is that in spite I have them now mounted correctly, due to the way I had mounted them before, it is harder to align the balance tubes than before. Anyway, I think I stay with how I've mounted them now and live with the not fully aligned balance tubes. Although the looks before were not bad, seen from the front it now even looks better.
Interesting is that when I finally had the old copper gaskets out, I could clearly see they had been making good overall contact and had sealed well. It is true the headers showed some more discoloration (looks nice btw) than my first set did, but gasoline has changed too and I ride my bike pretty hot.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:10:49 PM by deltarider »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
The correct way is as oddjob explained but, if someone had fitted them both to the outside before they may have tweeked them to fit that way. The problem of using second hand mounting brackets.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »
Exactly. My brackets are Original however. I can't recall if I made the mistake myself when I mounted my (2nd) set many years ago or that I have copied the way I found the old (1st) set mounted and that would imply the mistake was made by the PO or his mechanic.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:44:11 AM »
I'll manage with the brackets I have now. When removed in the future, I could bend them somewhat on a bench or buy new. I've seen they're available.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »
The new ones that are about are repros

Offline s7paul

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »
I bought the repro items, and needed to do quite a lot of tweaking to get the pipes to sit right and the interconnecting rubber to align properly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal