Author Topic: CB550 K3 Exhaust options  (Read 1410 times)

Offline daggartuk

• View Profile
CB550 K3 Exhaust options
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm looking to replace my exhaust system and would appreciate any advice. The bike is a '78 which has been given the cafe racer treatment and I'm thinking something a bit shorter than the current Motad system would look good. What are my options? I've looked at both Delkevic and Marving systems on eBay and also found a Predator system which I think is my preference. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or are there any others which might be suitable. Should mention that I've also looked at Carpy's exhaust but worry that it might cause problems come MOT time. Cheers. Gaz.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 K3 Exhaust options
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
Only off the shelf short pipes I have used was a laser system, bought used, not sure of current availability but quality was pretty good and rust didn't kill it even in winter use and neglectfull commuting. However it was a bit of an infernal rackett for early starts. However I never had any mot issues with it or any grief from police, it was rather that it got on my nerves at 6.30 am on the ride to work as I didn't want to be waking the entire neighbourhood, especially in snow where traction was an issue  ::) due to low ground clearence on the sidecar.... as an aside, quite a few of my exhausts over the years have been assembled by cutting off rotted silencers on 4 into 1 systems and welding on alternatives, best was a bsa rocket 3 'raygun' silencer from the 70s that was the best I have ever had for quality of chrome and inproved horsepower, only time I could routinely powerslide the outfit in every corner. Mosf unorthadox was my mate usingba fergy tractor exhaust in that manner, not too loud, decent power and looked surprisingly good after getting a slash cut and can of black spraypaint. Just beware if you have a centrestand as a lot of exhuasts seem to not cater for a stop for the stand to prevent chain contact, easy to remedy but also easy to miss.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline daggartuk

• View Profile
Re: CB550 K3 Exhaust options
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »
Thanks for your reply  mate and all the advice. Laser don't seem to be doing pipes for my bike anymore - I had thought about cutting down the end can but figured if I kept it complete then at least I've got a fully legal system to get it through the MOT. Interesting to know about the centre stand issue but mine has been removed. Anyone else with any knowledge or experience of the predator exhaust from a company called predator motorsports, Herts?
 Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal