Author Topic: Fuel cap removal  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Bullit

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Fuel cap removal
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
Hey guys I got a replacement key from eBay a few weeks back with the numbers from the steering lock and seat lock but unfortunately it doesn't open the fuel cap. Iv sprayed, oiled, wiggled and jiggled but it doesn't even go in the lock.
Can it be removed without damage to the tank or cap? Not bothered about the lock part as I'll be replacing it with the non lock type.

I originally thought it had been laid up due to a front brake issue as it was missing but now think that they couldn't get into the tank.

Oh yer and some bugger has rounded off the Phillips screw head.

( I did you the search bar but couldn't find anything)

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel cap removal
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »
So... the normal locks on a four are either a hex lock which you open with a hex key or the other type where you can put a key in.
The key type opens with any key, you can even use a screwdriver (not the drink).

But you say you can't even get a key in so maybe you have another type of lock (?)
Could you maybe post a picture?

The phillips screw would give the opportunity to get the lock free from the tank and the possibility to look inside the lock from underneath.
It is a pitty someone already tried it and messed up the screw.
If you drill off the head from the screw however you can  push the screw out the other side of the lock. Which is easier than drilling from the other side where you at least have to drill about 1 cm to free the screw.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
My bike came with a small key for the tank lock, so I assumed this key was specific to the lock.
Having just tried I find the lock will open with the ignition key, so I don't need the 'special' key at all.
It also has the cross head screw on the side - never knew that was there!
Have you tried prodding with a fine instrument of some kind to see if you can find something in the lock (the end of a key?) preventing the key going in?
Might be worth trying before you attack the screw head with a drill.
Also slightly confused about you getting a key number from your steering lock. Is it integral with the ignition, as fitted (I believe) to US bikes?
UK bikes have the lock on the side of the headstock with a totally different key.
If you haven't got a key then the only solution is to drill out and replace the lock (been there, done that!).

Offline Bullit

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
I have opened the little flap on the lock cover and can't see anything that shouldn't be in there.
If I remove the screw head does the remainder come out the opposite end with the square block releasing the whole mechanism? I know I'll also need to remove the pin at the opposite end of the cap.
What does this special key look like? Also I don't have an ignition key what do they look like?

Chris my steering lock is part of the bottom yoke

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
On  a 400/4 the ignition key should open it.  Doesn't matter on the key number. A luncheon meat tin key may also work. The stearing lock key may not as it is a bit thicker and only single sided.

Try soaking it in copious amounts of plus-gas or WD40 and press down on the cap a few times to relieve the tension on the mechanism as you turn the key. It may be that the latch has sezed on it's pivot.

Dave..

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »
The 'special' key I referred to is one that came with the bike and that I had assumed was for the tank lock.
As Menno said you can use any key (such as the ignition key) or even a screwdriver will work (It does - I have just tried it!).
Turn clockwise to release the catch.

The following picture is from an eBay listing I found and shows the underside of the lock assembly.
The part the screw screws in to is not part of the body of the lock so it looks as if drilling the head off the screw should
allow the screw to be pushed through and the lock assembly removed.
Whether you would then be able to remove it from the tank cap is another matter from looking at the shape of the latch.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Steering lock as part of the bottom yoke on a 400 is a new one on me (not that that's saying much ....).
What does it engage in to? This is what mine looks like, with key (different from ignition, mine is double-sided).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:17:20 AM by Chris400F »

Offline Bullit

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Hopefully it's just seized. That pic is great thanks Chris. If I can remove it without damaging it then hopefully will be able to release it. I did try a screw driver but didn't want to put to much force on it.

Mine is a 350 so that'll be why my steering lock is different

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 03:24:15 PM »
Mine is a 350 so that'll be why my steering lock is different
That explains it!
I can see the tank badges in the photo now I look again, must be more observant.

This is the listing the pic came from, there are several more showing the lock from different angles which may be of use:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Fuel-Tank-Gas-Cap-Latch-Lock-Pin-Rivet-Set-Many-Honda-CB-CL-See-Notes-I00-/361423175606?hash=item54267fffb6:g:ga4AAMXQUmFSn42e

Also came across this listing for the cap mounting pins, in stainless but held in place with a C Clip. Sounds a good idea.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HONDA-GAS-FUEL-TANK-CAP-LID-PINS-LATCH-SPRING-CL400-CL350-CL200-CJ360-CL360-/140946253692?hash=item20d10d277c

Offline Bullit

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »
IM IN!!
Sprayed a load more wd40 in there last night, another big squirt of 3in1 and stopped being a girl with the screwdriver and hey presto it popped open 👍

Thanks for all your input with this one, I honestly thought I was gona end up having to damage it.

Will still need to remove that long screw at a later date though.
Those pins are definitely a good idea, Iv added them to my watch list.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
Those pins are definitely a good idea, Iv added them to my watch list.
Found some cheaper ones, this listing doesn't include the spring which you may not need anyway.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370741666987?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal