Author Topic: 1971 CB500K0 Resto 3/71 VIN 1000896  (Read 49070 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: 1971 CB500K0 Resto 3/71 VIN 1000896
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »
Here is the mudguard off the bike no rot ...shame that it is so cracked  :( .

I would rather hang on to see if you can find the NOS one in the loft if you have it Ken. What's the chances you may be able to find it, please?

Does anyone know the difference between the CB500 3 hole and the CB750K1 3-hole rear guard?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:29:48 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
Removed Bearings (using M12 studded bar and washers as extractor).. Degreased in paraffin washer ...then re-beadblasted.

Some serious polishing to do over Christmas break  :)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:10:27 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2015, 11:18:17 AM »
Tank and panels prepped for sending to Menno in Germany. Bryan is kindly selling me a RH NOS side panel in green.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
Original seat pan fooked see pic.

Bought one from DK with supposedly good foam and pan but foam had the remains of a mouse nest in it and pan after blasting looks great on the underside but serious corrosion on the foam side. Complained to DK and they said bin the one they sent me and they will try to find me a better one. Nothing back yet from them though.

DK PAN

FOOKED ORIGINAL SEAT PAN

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:26:46 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »
Is the pan completely fubard. ...
Have you not a potion in your arsenal you could coat it with...to contain all the crud ..kind off gel coat to keep it contained .
I'm following this thread closely as I have a UK Registered k0 in bits and I'm considering what's the best route to take with it..I'm slowly collecting the parts and seeing how you are marching forward at an outstanding rate is tipping me to dig it out and start it. ...or at least piece it together ...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
Is the pan completely fubard. ...
Have you not a potion in your arsenal you could coat it with...to contain all the crud ..kind off gel coat to keep it contained .
I'm following this thread closely as I have a UK Registered k0 in bits and I'm considering what's the best route to take with it..I'm slowly collecting the parts and seeing how you are marching forward at an outstanding rate is tipping me to dig it out and start it. ...or at least piece it together ...

Great stuff if it's  spurring you on. I was thinking of coating THe DK one  in alumium powder filled epoxy resin on the foam side  then glass fibring  it. It's a freebie anyway now so nowt to lose I suppose. Sides are really solid.  I guess a family of rodents peeing on it didn't help  ;D

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
Ash where do you get your alumium powder filled epoxy resin
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2015, 02:29:45 PM »
Ash where do you get your alumium powder filled epoxy resin
pete

Make it myself   :)  . RS industrial 2-part epoxy kit mixed with aluminium powder .

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
Could this be used for fin repair?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »
Yes done it Pete. You drill 1 mm holes into the fin  and bond in drill blank pins to act as reinforcement , then use the epoxy to bond the pins. Then use the putty you make from the powder and epoxy to build up the repair. Great on fins that are painted as standard. A bodge I know before someone shoots me down in flames  ;D. If you want a bit to try , let me know. Got your mob no off Rich  today , when's the best time to call?

Cheers Ash

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
Ash ring me anytime within reason, thats well handy to know for fin repair, i had my sandcast head fins all welded, but i had to grind back the welding and shape the fins, i done quite a good job, then i noticed the chuck on the dremel had been rubbing on some of the other fins and left a big bloody groove, so i was contemplating an epoxy repair of some sort to hide my cock up

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2015, 12:12:30 AM »
Cheers Ken. I don't think its a length thing it's the hole for the wiring on the 750 and the wire brackets on the 750 See pics.

Do you think the dint could be removed without a rechrome? Can you PM me some pics and the price you would part with it for please.

cheers Ash

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2015, 08:21:21 AM »
Hi Ken, The chromer I use tells me you have to fill with silver solder or braze not soft solder. I don't think you  can chrome plate  over chrome (well as far as I know and have been told by the guy I use on bright chrome plating but I am no expert myself), you have to totally strip it. Let me know some prices on both if you are up for selling and we can take it from there.

Thanks for all your's and everyone's help BTW ... really spurring me on  :)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
Well I know what caused the original mudguard to split, some owner in the past mounted a rear rack on the bike, I'd forgotten that at one time I had a rack on my K reg that mounted onto the rear struts but also for some reason the 2 bolts holding the rear light to the rear light bracket. I always used to carry loads of stuff in my topbox in those days and eventually the weight constantly banging up and down on the rear light split the mudguard in exactly the same way as yours.

As for silver solder, yeah that sounds like it would work. If possible knock the dent out from the other side, braze some silver solder onto the area afterwards and file/sand it smooth so you can rechrome over the top of it. You'd have to have the present chrome stripped off first I suppose to allow the solder to grip the metal but afterwards the result should be undectable.

Will have a think on prices. Not 100% sure on whether I want to sell the NOS one as I keep thinking I may just restore my L reg bike again and I've sold the rear guard that was on that to Graham, along with my set of NOS exhausts I was saving for it and my NOS seat as well, damn I've sold a lot of my parts I was saving for that bike  :'( :'( :'(

OK Ken .. I don't want to persuade you to sell your NOS stuff and then regret it ... been there done that myself  :(  .  Have a ponder and I will look around myself at the different options. I just don't want this bike to linger on like my 750K0 and so far so good on that score, provided that  the engine turns out OK and everyone is still spurring me on  ;D.  Do you have any crank shells stashed away ? Just in case I need any . Bryan has found me a gasket set and oil seals and I have a primary chain and primary cush rubbers coming from Yamiya, as luckily they are the same as in the  400/4 engine . Just wish Yamiya sold 500/4 bits !

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
Ash, with the mileage on that 500 I doubt it will need shells mate

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal