Author Topic: cann't belive my luck!  (Read 1945 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
cann't belive my luck!
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
Thought I should share a good expirience buying parts. I recently bought a cb550 rear wheel off ebay, spares or repairs, supposedly with a cracked liner to the brake drum and non std 15" rim. Price was low enough for me to decide it could sit around til I have time to re line the drum on my lathe. Part turns up, all looks much as you would expect for £30 delivered - new bearings and a new spoke required to use it, drum lining a bit rusty, got the sandpaper out to assses the crack, cannot see it. Think I was lucky on this one, the drum actually looks like it has been re lined, but maybe could use a skim. Part was fro a company called Geds. I have used em before and so far found prices good and parts correctly described.
I am one happy bunny
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: cann't belive my luck!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »
I had a similar joy when i bought a cheap wheel from dk spares, it turned out to be much worthier of a higher price due to its good  condition
pete

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
Matthew was it Geds bike bits ?, if it was I now the fella and he has a lot of old bikes and parts  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:29:51 AM »
Gonna have to meet up with you one day Matt you are such an interesting guy... I love your make do and mend philosophy. You are not obsessed with originality like some of the nutters like me. When my 1st 400/4 was my only mode of transport I was the same..I remember using the missus's hairdressing type scissors  ;D in desperation for removing the circlip on my  400/4 Mcyl , as I needed the bike for work. That went down as well as keeping an MG1300 engine in the downstairs toilet of my 1st house I bought.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 06:21:31 AM »
Yep, that is the chap.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline TonUp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »
I have heard some good reports but not used them (yet!);

Geds Bikes & Bits
Motorcycles Dismantlers And Salvage in Carnforth
Foxwell Cottage
Carnforth
Lancashire
LA6 1DY
T: 01524 734 378