Author Topic: Forks Rechrome  (Read 5276 times)

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Forks Rechrome
« on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:14 AM »
Just had my forks returned from Brookes suspension after re chroming. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the finish, they're certainly much better but the chrome finish looks more like a brushed aluminum than chrome, they're not shiny at all. In fact the lowers that I've polished look better. Has anyone else had theirs rechromed, what sort of finish would you expect ?

The centre one is an old one for comparison.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:55:37 AM by stevush »

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Forks Rechrome
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
Yeah I see what you mean, that does not look chromed.

I sent mine to http://www.pittedforks.co.uk as per recommendation here in the forum and I can say they look great and it was very nicely done.

It cost me £160 and it includes collection and delivery but it took them like 4 weeks as they have a big waiting list.

Noelia

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »
It should not be shiny but more of a satin finish after re-finishing.
The plating is hard chrome and not decorative.
They are ground to size after plating so the finish will never be shiny.

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
I certainly wasn't expecting 'show chrome' finish but it hardly looks as though its been chromed at all!
Noelia, how does your finish compare with mine ?
The price is around the same as I paid so a comparison may be good for other forum members who may be going down that route.

Steve

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »

I certainly wasn't expecting 'show chrome' finish but it hardly looks as though its been chromed at all!
Noelia, how does your finish compare with mine ?
The price is around the same as I paid so a comparison may be good for other forum members who may be going down that route.

Steve

Hi,

Mine where very shiny like chromed should be, shame i don't have any pics and you cannot see them now mounted on the bike. But like bought new!

Noelia

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
I've had some re-chroming completed be Mark @ RS Electroplating, Manchester, but not fork tubes, so I cannot comment. Have you asked another re-chromer there opinion?
Mark is a member of this forum, why not get in touch.

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »
I don't know any re-chromers and I'm not familiar with Mark but if he reads the post I'd be interested in any comments he may have.  I rang Brook suspension this afternoon and voiced my concerns, after a brief discussion I've sent them a picture (the same one as posted here) and I'm awaiting their response.

Steve

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
i've used pittedforks (or phillpots as they are known) for years. the chrome seems a little duller than original but i have ridden in all weathers on one set and no rust after 5 years or so. wouldnt go anywhere else.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »
They are not meant to be shiny, hard chrome is a process of adding material then grinding to a tolerance so the best finish you will get is a fine grind surface, they only get a shine on them through age and use by rubbing on the seals. Phillpots did the stanchions for my RD restoration as they are a discontinued part but when I did my 400F I bought new ones from DS which cost about the same as Philpotts charged for doing the RD ones, to look at them the finish is identical.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »
There was a Magazine article comparison of Phillpots vs another company... seem to remember price about the same but phillpots won hands down as I remember.

My Z650B1 forks were done by Phillpots about 30 years ago and all the time I owned it they never rusted or pitted. Hard chroming is a totally different process and it what the Japs should have used in the first place. It's ground afterwards so is not bright and shiny..more satiny.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
I used these guys in Sandbach, Cheshire for a pair of Marzocci forks I used on a Freddie Spencer 900 Honda I built last year - good service, quality and took about 10 days - £150 pair
http://www.dynasurf.co.uk/
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 07:09:23 AM »
The tubes on my 400 were re plated some time before I bought and restored it in 2010.
The areas in contact with the seals have polished up a bit with use but the there is no sign of pitting anywhere. 
Honda's original plating was less effective.

Every year I use a rag to coat these and the chromework etc with ACF 50 which is cheap insurance for metal. Get some if you haven't already...  ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
If they have a deep shiny finish like a mudguard they haven't been Hard Chromed. If they've done decorative chrome they wont last even 2 years as its a different thing all together.

I've had quite a few done over the years, usually by Philpotts but also others, and they always look like yours in the picture.

Even Honda's originals are not truly hard plated and wont last as long. With real Hard Plating have a look in 30 years and they will be just like they were done yesterday.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 05:06:06 PM »
Well thanks for all of the posts, I feel a little more comfortable about it now, in fact I've rebuilt the forks today and I'm very pleased with them.
I think we all learn something during the restoration process which in turn prepares you better for the next one.
I've also just found some old photos of my 400/4 and 750 F1 from the early eighties.
I'll try and post them shortly, a new post or is there an existing thread somewhere ?

Cheers
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal