Author Topic: Bike security  (Read 4037 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Bike security
« on: December 26, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »
Hi all, just wondering what you use for bike security, both in the garage and while out and about?  As things are coming together, time to start considering the options.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Bike security
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
Out and about I use a short chain and padlock kept under the seat, I'd prefer a disk lock but couldn't find one to fit.

After two break ins the garage has a fair bit of security which I wouldn't list in detail on a public forum, but ground anchors, an alarm and additional locks on the door are the basics. Slow them down and make a noise.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »
Remote controlled alarm fitted to the bike, fitted after a regular drunk used to sit on my bike and try kick starting it every saturday night outside my old job. Was hilarious when he tried it once the alarm was fitted, I waited for him to get on then remote started the bike, and set the alarm off - the bike had a very loud exhaust, the alarm was wired to set all the lights flashing, and what with the sidecar fitted too, there is a bit of a Herbie look to the whole ensemble. The offending drunk ran off and never went near any of my bikes again. At home the usual cctv, locks, angry farmer living up the end of a no through road. I find a cable and lock are a bit of a pain to use daily but live in a low crime rate area. I would use them further afied though.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »
I feel slightly embarrassed to admit that I haven't chained up my bike for years and assume no one will be bothered to nick it on account of it being a bit crap.  This is one of the things I like about it.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
It is one bonus to owning a scruffy old classic, it is a far lower risk factor to a prestine restored classic or shiny new bike. It is one of my reasons for my make do and mend approach, the other being that my bikes see a lot of use in all weathers, and keeping anything looking new is way too much work, so I postpone any major spending as long as possible. That way if I do want to pop over to a mates, have a few beers and leave the bike outside their house, the chances are it will still be there in thr morning. Always pays if there is something else more valuable and easier to lift nearby. A chunky looking chain around the back wheel is good. Make sure if you use a chain and lock that either it only locks with the key or there is a key for it with every spare bike key, not much beats that oh drat, I used the spare bike keys without a key for the lock round the back wheel feeling.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
There seems to be so many bike's nicked every day that I am considering this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Tracking-Device-Battery-Tracker/dp/B017WDF5CA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1451739005&sr=8-8&keywords=motorbike+tracking+gps+security

It's def expensive at £200 but much cheaper than over two years spent in garage... 

I like it as it doesn't need battery and even if it last for 5 years that would be ace.
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
Following the link on that page takes you to this page, which seems to be the same item from a different seller:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Tracker-GPS-EL120/dp/B00TQXO92C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31zmsLHRlTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1EP09BQTND3HGRN67160
The latter page has the full subscription details - the 'from £3/month' quoted only works if you take out the 5 year plan at £180.
There is also the issue of where to hide it on a bike - where were you thinking of putting it?

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »
Search for tk102 for a much cheaper alternative, you can pick them up for under a tenner or pay a bit more to get one configured with a sim. Depending on configuration you can get 4 weeks on a battery.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:12:28 AM »
This has been a great reminder I must fix my steering lock
I tend to use a large chain and padlock when I remember to take it with me.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »
Thanks for pointing subscription out.
The only place it would fit is inside foam of the seat, anywhere else is surrounded by the metal, so will interfere with mobile reception.

My racing bike has no battery and it is so much easier to nick, again same problem where to hide it...

Following the link on that page takes you to this page, which seems to be the same item from a different seller:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Tracker-GPS-EL120/dp/B00TQXO92C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31zmsLHRlTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1EP09BQTND3HGRN67160
The latter page has the full subscription details - the 'from £3/month' quoted only works if you take out the 5 year plan at £180.
There is also the issue of where to hide it on a bike - where were you thinking of putting it?
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents.  I don't know if I can do a tracker, but can anyone recommend a chain and lock combo? 

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
Before you spend too much on a chain & lock, any half decent one will last about the same length of time against bolt croppers, grinder or gas axe. At the end of the day if some thieving scumbag wants to nick your pride & joy they will do, all you can do is buy time in the hope that they will give up & go somewhere else.
Born again SOHC owner

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
At the end of the day if some thieving scumbag wants to nick your pride & joy they will do...
Or, as it has grown a fashion over here (probably demographic reasons...): if they can't take it away, they just vandalize it...
(like it happened with the '94 ST1100 I've restored: turned out being to heavy to be thrown into a van, so tipped over, kicked and jumped on... leaving not a single fairing bit intact, all and everything shattered to pieces...)
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
Big dog chained to the bike always works ;)

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »
Big dog chained to the bike always works ;)
Yep, protein-controlled alarm system, model Pit-bull... take a bite outta crime!!  ;D
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal