Author Topic: Good year tax wise  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Good year tax wise
« on: December 28, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
Happy Christmas and New Years guys and gals....
This year should be a good one for me road tax wise....here's why and a few views appreciated
A slow day here which is nice... after all this talk about historic vehicle taxation I thought I would see what was what as I have a few 1975 bikes...
Well here goes

St 70 14/03/73 ...not had this on road but seems it's over due a re classification?

Xr75 just says declared manufactured 1975 so will this mean I can free tax it or should I wait a year to definately slip in....I suppose it depends on who looks at it at the dvla

500/4 k2 28/05/75..this year or next year?

400f 16/09/75..this year or next year?

Hadleigh custom 500/4. 01/01/1975... I'm pretty sure that will be this year

Last one to do is a uk k0 it's in boxes but v5 is here in my name...so no mot or insurance....just v5...can I still apply to have it re classified or do you do this when applying for tax? 15/03/72

Hope fully these will all be simple and I'm going to try the post office over the counter and see if they will do the legwork for me ..as mentioned in another post...

Thanks agin in advance

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Good year tax wise
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
I notice several 500's dated 1975,

is that the reg date? or year of manufacture??

the wording is "date of manufacture" so most of the 1975 reg bike must have been made in 1974,
so will qualify
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »
The dates quoted are dates of first registration on the v5 so yeah probably manufactured a good few months before

The hadleigh custom one says declared manufactured 01/01/75 but that was from a date cert from vjmc so I guess it was just an easy date to come up with....

The xr75 says declared manufactured 1975? So even more vague obviously another date cert in the mix somewhere as they were never road bikes...

As for the others now the rolling tax date is in use I'm not sure when they would definately kick in ..I won't be taxing any of them until later next year but I do want to keep on top of them as it's just as easy to go on line to tax as it is to sorn

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:56:41 PM »
Free tax for mine as well - finally.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Paulinsuffolk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
the wording is "date of manufacture" so most of the 1975 reg bike must have been made in 1974,
so will qualify

My question would be tho.... how or where do you find "year/date of manufacture".? .. i have a 76 AP50, XS650, GL1000 and all registered early in 76, so potentially tax free in 2016 if i could prove year of manufacture

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
with Honda,apply for a dating letter,with frame and engine number,

it does cost though

you could also try the VJMC club, they should do the other manufacturers,again,I think it costs,

ask and see
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
It's not so much as trying to push them through. ..but at some point if date of first reg is 01/01/75 then surely the manufacture date will pre date this so dvla won't need any form of dating cert..
It would be as cheap to tax for a year and wait 12 months as it would to get a dating cert etc ..
What I'm getting at is will these dates on the v5 mean free tax next year 2016..or shall I wait 12 months to definitely slip in...

I've re read this a couple of times I hope It makes sense ..It does to me but sometimes it's hard to get it down on type

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
DVLA are a government, bureaucratic department and would not believe you could scratch you're arse without written proof

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »
Very true bryan ..They are indeed a law unto themselves. .
My dealings with them range from the simplest task turning into a nightmare to what you would have thought was going to be a right pain turning out to be one simple phone call.
In the new year I will try the hadleigh custom bike that is dated 01/01/75 as I want to get that out again this year anyway to use.
I will report back with what occurs..

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
On a more positive note though .. Their V888 form request for registration details held  on record, can be  the best fiver's worth that money can buy if they just happen to have retained your records. I got next to ziltch back on my UK 750K0 but on the '75 400/4 ...boy there was a thick wadge of A4 photopies (loads of PO's until I bought it in '85)  (must have cost quite a bit from the £5 paid just to post to me). I got a direct phone number and got throught straight away, when I called to say the 'request' was taking a couple of months. Got a very apologetic response that one licencing area was slow in coming up with the info, which was 'part of my investigation' as the nice DVLA lady put it. I got the original registering document from Cowies of Sunderland and the copy of the first taxation request plus details of the first buyer  plus a pretty comprehensive ownership trail ( sadly a couple of gaps in the early '80s) Guess is was used as a demo bike as they registered and taxed it in late  August '75 but didn't sell it until the spring of '76. And to think I was only living less than a mile away from that dealers at the time. Seem to remember they had an orange CB500T in the window  too ...aaargh. Member kettle738 (Mick) put me onto the V888 service. Really need to put in forms for my two UK CB250K0's before some tw*t bureaucrat  realizises what a bargain it is and kills it.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
Very true bryan ..They are indeed a law unto themselves. .
My dealings with them range from the simplest task turning into a nightmare to what you would have thought was going to be a right pain turning out to be one simple phone call.
In the new year I will try the hadleigh custom bike that is dated 01/01/75 as I want to get that out again this year anyway to use.
I will report back with what occurs..
For some obscure reason this rolling program only rolls on from 1st April, so my May 75 tagged GL 1000 will only qualify for historic status after April 2016, the nice lady told me after pressing 79 different options.  Another DVLA quirk is that if your machine is Sorned (which mine is at present) then you have to tax it first before applying for change of taxation class and you will lose a month.  So that means my GL will be 41 years old when I get free tax, wtf?
Exactly the same thing happened with my 400/4 but they mysteriously sat on my application (perhaps that's how they read them?) and I lost a further 3 months till it surfaced, even though I had proof of posting date - aargh!!
Mind you, as they had originally put back the reg date on this import to 1974 and gave it an M reg, it's one of the few historic status 400/4's around.  T'other cockup they made was using 398 as the capacity, so I've more than had my money.
Ian

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »
Finally got around to taxing a bike
I have got the hadleigh custom bike sorted....and a new mot
I went to the post office with the v5..
All the lady done was crossed out the taxation class "bicycle" middle left colum....
And filled out new taxation class "historic vehicle" bottom right
I signed and dated it...she tore it in half..not literally but I kept the RHS slip she kept Lhs .and the bike was taxed no fee.
Apparently this is all that needs doing if you just have the v5 but no mot etc and then send back to dvla...for reclassification
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:29:50 AM by Woodside »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal