Author Topic: Camshaft Install and Ignition Timing - Curios about how it all works !!  (Read 1127 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Just on my final stage of engine rebuild and about to put back Cam but I have some confusion/questions around how all this works. This is really about satisfying my curiosity more than anythinig else............

So you line up the 1.4 timing mark so pistons 1 and 4 are at TDC and then line up the marks on the cam - I get all that but this got me thinking -- cos as an engineer I like to understand how all this works so here's my confusion.

Lets say Pots 1 and 4 fire at TDC , crank then  rotates 180 on the bang stroke, then rotates another 180 on the exhaust stroke and 1 and 4 then get to TDC again at the end of the exhaust stroke. Now surely the 1 an4 points will open again and fire the plug again. I would have thought the crank needed to rotate 360 before firing 1 and 4 again.

Clearly I am missing something obvious here or dooes it fire again at the top of the exhaust stroke.

Looking forward to demystifying this !!!

I am a bit mystified  >:( >:( >:(
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Camshaft Install and Ignition Timing - Curios about how it all works !!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
You are absolutely correct. The system fires twice in every cycle - it's called a wasted spark.

It saves having four points/coils (or a distributor!)

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
As steve sez, cheaper to fit two double ended coils than four single ones and can you imagine the clutter with four sets of points in there!

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »
Thanks guys all now makes sense, at least my logic was correct  :) :)
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
and if you fit a Boyer ignition you get all 4 plugs sparking every 180 degrees of the crank

but it works !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal