Author Topic: CB750 rims  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
CB750 rims
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:46:47 PM »
New DID rims cost about 130 - 140  Euros each.

So what do I do with my old rims, that have faded chrome and some rust spots?

De - chroming, grinding and re- chroming would me cost more or less the same as a new one.

What would you do?
Any differences between old rims and new rims?

As far as I can see the new ones have the dimensions engraved on the flanks, my old ones don't
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:50:50 PM by Sgt.Pinback »
cheers, Uli

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 rims
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:58:09 PM »
Those scripted rims are horrid IMHO. BUT perfectly functional and I am just an anorak  WAISAD. Rechrome your originals for between £75 and £110 if you want  your bike to be totally original and top ££££ in value. Tell the chromer to be careful to retain the DID diamond logo.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:42:19 AM »
Those scripted rims are horrid IMHO. BUT perfectly functional and I am just an anorak  WAISAD. Rechrome your originals for between £75 and £110 if you want  your bike to be totally original and top ££££ in value. Tell the chromer to be careful to retain the DID diamond logo.

Thanks! Do the new rims have that DID diamond logo too?

I have no idea what an anorak WAISAD is, but I think that's what I am too.
cheers, Uli

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:51:27 AM »
I have no idea what an anorak WAISAD is...
Anorak: individual with very strong interests, borderline obsessive, within niche subjects (but not socially impaired, contrary to nerd  ;D )
WAISAD: when all is said and done...  ;) (wenn alles gesagt und getan ist, AKA zu guter letzt)

Methinks alone the fact that we're dealing with (those) old rigs, qualifies for the attribute  8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:55:06 AM by ST1100 »
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
Ha ha .. I was slightly oiled (=too much red wine when I wrote that) so I made up WAISAD to see if anyone would work it out.
That's me definitely an anorak  ;D.

Just checked a 'scripted' rim and they dont have the DID diamond logo. The original DID rims were made in Japan and the ones they sell now are made in Indonesia. The new Genuine Honda part is basically a scripted DID rim in Honda packaging + more money.

Don't get me wrong... the news ones are good quality and decent chroming, just crapppy scripting stamped on one side of the rim.

Cheers  ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »
Thanks again!

cheers, Uli

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:52 PM »
Horrid!!! [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Agree.

On original rims are no production date as on Kawa rims from those days?
cheers, Uli

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »
Agree.

On original rims are no production date as on Kawa rims from those days?

No date code on original D.I.D. that is on the Takasago rims fitted to other makes ( like Suzuki)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal