Author Topic: 550 k3 inlet manifold rubber clamps  (Read 1474 times)

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
550 k3 inlet manifold rubber clamps
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a full set of clamps online before next weekend?  David Silvers only has one in stock.

I've just fitted aftermarket rubbers and clamps only to find the rubbers are 5 to 8mm too long and the airbox won't fit. (Estimated as I haven't removed them yet.) Most original clamps are damaged, but original rubbers are actually ok - I was just replacing them while replacing the O rings. Can't use the aftermarket clamps as they're a smaller diameter.
I wish I'd compared the parts before fitting, carbs were a pig to get back on, refitting cables wasn't as easy as i remembered either.

Thanks

Allan

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 550 k3 inlet manifold rubber clamps
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:51:11 PM »
You have probably been sold 500 ones as 550K3 are shorter

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »
I've just had another go at it, managed to use the new clamps so I don't need to find a set now, had to leave the screws out when fitting as they didn't have any slack. Couldn't get the centre airbox rubber bits onto the carbs or the cables connected before daylight ran out.

When I had a closer look at the new rubbers they also have 2 ridges in each side rather than just one, would that suit a 500? If I can't get a refund on them (since I've used the clamps that came with them) they're free to any forum member.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:08:50 PM »
Been sold CB550F and not CB550K3 maifolds ;) Have a mate that has been looking for OEM or repro K3 but, the they seem unavailable. Hold on are you talking about carbs to manifolds or air box to carbs?  ::)

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »
Carbs to manifolds. Too long and wrong internal profile, two ridges and both ends the same size. Sold as 550 k on ebay from legend motorcycles.

David silvers list a repro set with 1 in stock. From the pics they look like the right ones.

Now also having difficulty with airbox side having squashed evening trying to fit the wrong parts.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 05:33:46 PM »
They are 500 or 550F and you have no chance of getting the original carb to airbax to fit, you need K3 ones(550K0,K1 and K2 are same as 500)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 05:58:39 PM »
You need the ones for PD carbs if, it has PD carbs fitted to the K3.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »
I can't get the original carb to airbox to fit even after refitting the original carb to inlet.

Yes it does have PD carbs.

This is one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it jobs that I never should have started. I bought 50 O rings for the tappet covers as it was cheaper than buying 8 so I decided to change the inlet ones, then I thought while I'm on I might as well replace the inlet rubbers. Total waste of time, but the only other things the bike needs is paint which it's too cold for (and I've just bought a better tank) and maybe chrome on some small parts but I'm not aiming to get it spotless.

I should sell it and ride my trials bike instead of tinkering, more satisfying and better exercise.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 07:42:48 PM »
Partial refund agreed, so at least the service was ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal