Author Topic: Oil Pressure Switch and light - much confusion on my part!!  (Read 989 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Oil Pressure Switch and light - much confusion on my part!!
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »

Just rebuilding my 500 K0 1971 (USA model)and have come across an electrical problem.

On the bike currently there is a brass small pipe coming off the top of the oil pump which is connected eventually in to a small diameter plastic tube that leads along with two wires to the front of the bike.

The tube and the wires have been snipped off by someone so I am unclear what happens here. I assume the small pipe went in to a pressure switch somehwhere but I can't see a switch anywhere. I further assume the two wires went originally to the oil pressure light on the "idiot" display.

I am now however even further confused as I can't see anything resembling this on the Honda parts list, what I do see however is an oil pressure switch mounted on the oil pump where my current small bore brass pipe connection goes.

As always I am sure there is a simple explanation and hope a fellow owner can shed some light on what I need to do. Obviously haveing a functional oil pressure light is kind of important!!!!

Look forward to the replies
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Pressure Switch and light - much confusion on my part!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
My guess is it once had a pressure gauge. You'll need a new pressure switch and to locate the correct wire for it.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Pressure Switch and light - much confusion on my part!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:15:14 AM »
That description does not match any oil switch i have seen on any Honda so I would replace it with a known good one, DO NOT use a car one with the same thread as they operate at a different pressure

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal