Author Topic: CB 550K3 Cap Head or Not Cap Head  (Read 2239 times)

Offline dawmallard

• View Profile
CB 550K3 Cap Head or Not Cap Head
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »
Dilemma time. replace all the old nasty rusty chewed up engine casing screws with original like for like or nice shiny stainless cap head ones?
When I used to own Hondas in the "Good ol' days - sigh" we all used to rip out the old screws and put nice shiny cap heads in, if I remember, cadmium plated?
Part of me is thinking that it should be as near original as possible but I am not looking to win prizes, just put an oldie back onto the road and ride it.
Mind you, I did buy some of those nice 4 into 4s that DS sell so maybe more like original is the way to go?
Thoughts and opinions welcome.
PS: I thought my wife's horses were money pits......
Proud to be an old fashioned postie
Bikes - Honda 550K3
           BMW R100RT 1996

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: CB 550K3 Cap Head or Not Cap Head
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
After spending that much on exhausts don't spoil it with cap heads.
Although original are likely to be so pricey I'd only replace the knackered ones.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:24:51 PM »
my thoughts are that all the bikes are around 40yrs old,

most will have been worked on,and seeing good quality cap head screws shows that some thought has been put to
the assembly,the old soft crosshead were prone to damage,
a worth while Mod,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
I agree with John on this one, use socket heads, they were a common mod back in the day, and perfectly okay on a bike you ride. Only museum quality restorations would look wrong with them, and if you need to work on the engine, they are much easier to work with!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline dawmallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
Thanks for the input. Gonna let this run for a while and weigh it all up. Must confess leaning towards the cap heads atm as it was so common in the day and a lot easier to work on but then argh decisions! Prices seem to be about the same give or take a few bob.
Proud to be an old fashioned postie
Bikes - Honda 550K3
           BMW R100RT 1996

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
If you put cap heads in go easy with the allen keys. You can get far more torque on an allen key than you can on a screwdriver, and you will easily rip the threads out of castings. Also, if you use stainless screws lubricate the threads with copperslip or a more modern anti seize paste or again the threads will tear out as you remove the screws. Best to put a small dab under the head as well. I nearly always use stainless cap heads with copperslip and I haven't had a problem yet. Fingers crossed. :-\
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:55:16 PM »
One one engine I restored,  I used stainless button head screws.  The heads are less obtrusive than the standard cap screw and look more like the original screws.  They need a smaller allen key, so it's less likely they'll get over tightened.  For an M6 its a 4mm key rather than a 5mm. 
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »
Button heads are needed to clear the valve caps really from what I recall, at least in some places, but they are really easy to round out the heads on, but the fix is eqally easy, just tap the rounded button head with a hammer and gently knock the allen key back in. For everyday ease of use I prefer cap heads, especially on a daily use bike, also allen keys are easier at the roadside, especially the socket cap type, just use so the short arm is giving the leaverage. I do use pan heads if I have enough the right size to do the whole job or at least the whole cover but that is because I am tight and lazy and would rather make do with what I have then spend actual money.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 06:30:50 PM »
Check out inox fasteners in Southampton they do cap head sets at good prices and the owner is really helpful www.inoxbolt.co.uk
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal