Author Topic: Aluminium repair  (Read 1883 times)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Aluminium repair
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the low temperature welding/soldering rods that are available?

Thanks in advance

Conrad
Born again SOHC owner

Offline hondarc166

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminium repair
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
My mate got some Alutight rod at the last newark show to do some work on his bsa a10 cases i think the seller is swiss he said it worked ok why we was watching his demo he asked me to have a go welded two sheets of aluminium to gether it's a bit like soldering it's £50 a metre using a butain lamp not acetylene  warm to 380 c to start welding pure aluminium starts to melt at 660 c  to use it warm alli to 380 apply alutight in a blob then work it over the joint with a screwdriver to pull it along it will also weld zinc magnesium can be drilled and tapped you can get diferent lenths 1metre of rod  will do 30 metres of weld email to alutighteurope@hotmail.com i think he goes to stafford

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
Yes I was very impressed  with this similar  (probably same guy )  product that was demonstrated at the Bath & West restoration show last Nov , that looked very easy to undertake .I thought the cost was around £30 mtr , on reflect , I wish I made a purchase .
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Moto morini 250 2c
Cb200
S90

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
I bought some rods off ebay, but not had time to play since. My research indicates that 3rd generation aluminium solder type products are the ones to buy, I may remember to share my results once I get time to play, if I can still locate the broken bits of alloy off my lister Lt1 engine cover....
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
I've used Lumiweld rods with great success on lots of jobs.

The key to getting a good bond is to get the workpiece itself hot enough so that the filler metal melts when it touches the job rather than just melting in the flame. If the metal itself is not hot enough the filler metal just stays on the surface and scrapes off afterwards.

I welded this filler neck into my Moto Guzzi rocker cover using Lumiweld.

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the input guys I have ordered some to give it a try. Will test it out first on a bit of scrap.
Born again SOHC owner

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal