Author Topic: DVLA does it again!  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
DVLA does it again!
« on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:09 PM »
I recently bought back my old GL1000 Wing from my Cousin.  It had been sorned for the last 6 months or so.  Did the paperwork, received the new V5c with my name and a new 11 digit reference number.  All Ok so far.  Went on line the same day and tried to SORN it with the new doc ref number.  Computer says NO, vehicle already sorned.  Must have changed the system methinks.  Yesterday I got a 'Last chance ' letter from these morons, telling me to declare SORN or be clapped in irons/deported/hung,drawn and quartered or whatever punishment they now impose.  They gave me 2 options to do this, either by automated system on phone or online.  Tried the 76 options on the phone but it was rejected because SORN already in place!  Tried on line and same result.   So I rang them and after an eternity and another 76 options I spoke to a very helpful young lady, gave her all the details.  I have to download a form, fill it in and send it to them to declare SORN, WTF? 'Can't you just change the details?'  No, you have to send in the form.

I really felt like ignoring this request and having my day in court, but know that one way or other they will win, because they make the rules.
I sent the form today 2nd class signed for which cost £1.59. No, I don't trust them to not conveniently lose my form.

So I have lost a couple of hours of my life and over a quid because their system is flawed!

I wish there was some way of bringing these idiots to book.
Ian

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA does it again!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:38:15 AM »
Orcadian......glad that you are still standing despite the 100+MPH winds up there.........you should arrange to speak to your MP at his or her next Surgery in your area and advise of your utter despair regarding the DVLA.

I met my MP today and I gave him my view on why we are experiencing so much flooding recently(apart from the appalling weather that is).........because of the EU Water Framework Directive which has effectively 'dismantled' the good stuff which had gone on for hundreds of years before and consequently, nobody widens, dredges or makes/ improves embankments any more cos the EU wants to protect a few crayfish etc etc.

My MP was happy to hear my views and said that he welcomed constructive suggestions. He also said that he was hearing many, many complaints about EU Legislation which brings little benefit but great inconvenience and adds substantial cost to UK business.

I also pointed out that in my field (HSE) before new HSE Legislation is introduced (or existing Legislation is substantially amended) a Cost Benefit Analysis HAS to be done and if the cost of compliance by Industry far outweighs any savings due to the reduction of predicted fatalities or serious injuries/ damage to property or the environment, then the change will not be made. My point is that we in the UK have no say in EU Directives and we should treat them as a 'Contract' i.e. both parties have to agree to them or they cannot be enforced.

Challenging the DVLA is a waste of time as they don't answer to Joe Public....but if enough of us wrote or met our MP's with our complaints, then the DVLA might well get a kick up its ar*e and start earning it's keep.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
Thanks for that MCTID,
I must agree with you that fighting the DVLA by oneself is not going to produce a result and I have emailed Alister Carmichael before with a DVLA problem. He knows when folks are telling porkies  ;)
He did manage to get me a refund when they said that the section for the new owner had been left blank.  We know that to be untrue as the chap I was buying this CD 175 sloper from was really impressed that I knew my Driver number by heart.  They eventually sent a poor photocopy (they won't accept photocopies from us mortals!) of the form with a badly disguised cover over where I had put my details, so I know what tricks they use when backed into a corner.
Being a member of a few car and bike clubs, most folk have had some kind of unpleasant run-in with this organisation (now there's a misnomer).  There was a lady up here who had to retake her test because they could find no record of her on their system - she'd been driving for 40 years.  Note to all:  WRITE DOWN YOUR DRIVER NUMBER ASAP
I'm 67 this year and getting to the point where I can't be bothered to fight these idiots anymore but will do as you suggest and at least fire off an email, both to them and the MP.

Ian

Btw, now you've mentioned it I did notice a stiff breeze yesterday! 

Offline StClair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »
You are not alone!

I had precisely the same experience last October, buying a bike on SORN. When I finally got to speak an 'adviser' I actually found him to be friendly and helpful  -  he posted out a form to me and, a couple of days after I returned it, all was well.

Strange way of going about things but the worst bit was, as you said, the 76 options. After that it was quite straighforward.

'Twas a bit breezy in these parts yesterday, as well.
Cheers, StClair.

'77 CB400F
'07 G650XCountry
'02 BMW R1100RS SE
'90 Kawasaki GTR100 + Hedingham XL
'52 Francis Barnett Falcon 58

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »
I have had so many problems with that bunch of idiots in dvla. Worst one was a court summons arriving for no sorn after the confirmation of sorn. I was very very tempted to take that one right through to court and hope to bill them for my full expences, especially as they wanted me, in mid Wales to attend a court hearing in Northampton. It is the only time I actually got through to a person on the phone and it was actually a very pleasant lady who applogised and dealt with the issue immidiately and no further need for my input. It is the only time I have ever had evidence of competence from them. Sadly I have plenty of occasions where they 'lost' documents. Since Royal mail don't seem to loose all my other mail I am pretty sure who's loosing my letters.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks,
Yes, perhaps constant bombardment via MP's would be the way forward, I'm up for that at least.
Not really wishing to defend them too much but some parts have improved - it's much quicker and easier to do a cherished transfer these days and refunds do come through in a few days rather than weeks.  The BIG THING though is for us to fight this fraudulent extraction of cash from the buyer and seller when a vehicle changes hands.  I can sort of go with the tax not being transferred in a futile effort to stop scroats driving illegally but if council tax and utility charges can be imposed on a daily basis, then why can't VED? I know full well that if I sold one item on a well known auction site and took the money from two people, I would be banged up.

On a happier note to St Clair, we will be at your fabulous Classic Motor show in Shetland in June, hope to see you there!
Ian

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »
last  week I had a strange one, I received a new v5 for the bike I sold last year to trigger, as it has been changed to historic vehicle automatically then I received a letter saying I no longer owned it and also a refund of tax. Thing is in October I had been fined for not taxing it or sorn as I forgot, all seems a bit strange.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
That is a strange one, are you saying that trig didn't ask for the taxation class to be changed and the new V5c would have been generated automatically?  Many folk on here, including me, have had to jump through burning hoops to get the class changed to Historic and my GL1000 is May 75 on the tag, but DVLA tell me it will not be Historic until April this year AND I will have to tax it first to get it changed.  I will then lose a month of that in the refund.  Another phone call from me, if I could be bothered, might produce a different answer, that's the frustrating part with them, nothing definitive.
Ian
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:28:09 AM by orcadian »

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
In early January I went to the post office to get my V5 altered to historic.   They said they couldn't do it and I had to send it to Swansea.   Does that.  Gets V5 back unchanged with a note saying they can't do it, need to fill out a V70 (which they enclosed).   Goes to a different post office and tried again.   They couldn't do it because the bike is SORNed.   I then tax the bike for 6 months and send off the V5, the V70 and proof that it's now taxed.   I get the V5 back today  - unchanged, along with a letter saying it can't be altered until 1st of April.
Why didn't they bloody tell me that in the beginning.   Either they don't know the rules themselves or they keep moving the goalposts.   Or both.
Wankers, the lot of them.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline StClair

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »

On a happier note to St Clair, we will be at your fabulous Classic Motor show in Shetland in June, hope to see you there!
Ian

I shall be there Ian  -  look for my CB400F on display  -  what are you bringing?
Cheers, StClair.

'77 CB400F
'07 G650XCountry
'02 BMW R1100RS SE
'90 Kawasaki GTR100 + Hedingham XL
'52 Francis Barnett Falcon 58

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
last  week I had a strange one, I received a new v5 for the bike I sold last year to trigger, as it has been changed to historic vehicle automatically then I received a letter saying I no longer owned it and also a refund of tax. Thing is in October I had been fined for not taxing it or sorn as I forgot, all seems a bit strange.

You forgot to mention that we both received a V5 for the same bike within 2 days of each other  :o
Also I had some bikes on historic tax and when the V5's came back due to change of address, they have put them back to Bicycle taxation class >:(
Also, out of the mountain of V5's that I had to send off for change of address, 3 of the bikes were taken off SORN, so please guys and girls look up you bike every now and then to make sure it is still on SORN or MR, MRS or MISS DVLA will fine you.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 03:11:13 PM »
also check your driving licence,

they are prone to deleting groups,such as Motorcycle,

take a colour copy of ALL documents you send them (or anyone)

then you will have proof !!

that once saved me a lot of hassle
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 03:27:22 PM »

Ian

I shall be there Ian  -  look for my CB400F on display  -  what are you bringing?

Hello again St Clair,
I was thinking of taking my 350 four but might get the GL1000 ready in time, it just needs some cosmetics and I want to do the cam belts.  Christine will probably take my Supercharged Daimler if I can find a suitable block to fix under the accelerator pedal 🙈
Accommodation is booked, just the Ferry to sort.

With all of these problems with dealing with DVLA, I think it might be time to sharpen a stick to poke them with via the MP.
Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »
Forget the sharpened stick, using the blunt end of a challenger probably wouldn't work

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
I didn't apply for historic status as I had sold the bike anyway, and if trigger had done it why did it come in my name? a mystery!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal