Author Topic: Spare shed load of cash?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Spare shed load of cash?
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »
If you have a spare shed load of cash lying around unused this is the way to go.   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Hurricane-X75-X-75-1-owner-untouched-and-unrestored-museum-piece-WOW-/222016581170?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276    Could never understand why Triumph never put the Vetter Trident into production, this had a chance of single handedly saving the British bike Industry. Well maybe not eh.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

What a beautiful piece of machinery. Don't know its worth 35k though, but someone will buy it.

Have a look at the last photo, some collection that is. And all the boxed toys on the shelf, either a shrewd collector/investor, or a nutter with too much money. ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:33:05 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Spare shed load of cash?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »
Holy shit that last photo is mad...

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »
Not exactly rarer than rare, there's two right there. :D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
Well, in my eyes those bikes represent everything that went wrong with the British motorcycle industry. Reports on them at the time said it was rushed into production to try and gain ground back from Honda's CB750, the middle cylinder was prone to overheating, typical oil leaks, and for heavens sake, who in their right mind would launch a performance bike in the 70's with a drum brake on the front???. Granted, it looks nice, but there is where the food points end. Best kept in museums, and don't try riding it, because chances are it won't get there without breaking down!

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
Couldn't agree more hairy...

jimv50

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
No, no and thrice, NO.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
Utterly pointless bike if it is an investment that is not ridden. To me the fun of owning a classic is using it, be it our family s2 landrover ( rare enough for the original 2.0d engine or the rear pto on their own.) Sure using it hard has worn out a few matching numbers components but far more worthy than mothballing it, a fair few bits on my 500/4 have suffered from the miles I put on it too but in my view owning it would have been a lot less fun if I hadn't accued so many memories by using it for so very many miles of adventures. Doesn't really tempt me.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 05:03:16 PM »
The Hurricane was typical of the Triumph/BSA problems at the time. Old time managers making the wrong decisions and not investing enough in the future. Relying too much on old designs.

The BSA triple engine had a forward angled top end which looked good in the bike - the Triumph engine had a straight cylinder head/barrel which didn't look so good. If they had used the BSA style engine in all the bikes they would have saved so much money on tooling and commonality of spare parts. Usual story, BSA managers wanted their way, Triumph wanted to be different.

The American dealers were complaining a lot about old-fashioned designs not selling so someone with sense brought in Craig Vetter to design a bike that would sell in the American market.

The result was the Hurricane. He chose the twin leading shoe front brake for looks and style, same for the better looking BSA-style engine and the expensive but pretty exhaust.

The bike did go into production but most were sent to the States and production didn't last long before US rule changes and Triumph's problems meant the end. I think there were about 1200 made - and a few copies made since!
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »
They got that in the end. My T160 export had the sloping barrels.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal