Author Topic: Carb rebuild kit  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
Carb rebuild kit
« on: February 14, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
Hi guys. Looking for a bit of advice and experience regarding carb rebuild kits.
I'm only after the perishable items really so the o rings and float bowl gaskets.

I've seen the kits offered by keyster and cruzin image but have heard mixed reports regarding their quality and don't really need all the new brassware that they come with.
It's either them or a gasket only kit  from David silvers that comes to £74 which sounds excessive to me.

So my question is does anyone have any recommendations as to which kits to go for? Reasonably priced and preferably uk based.

The bike in question is a '76 cb550. Thanks luke

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Carb rebuild kit
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:37:46 PM »
Hi Luke
I have had plenty of carb kits from Cruzinimage and have never, ever had a problem. I think you will also find that the one's DSS sell are from the same supplier that Cruzinimage get there's from. It appears that where you get a set of 4 of everything in the kit from Cruize by the time they get to DSS they end up in single bags and you need to buy 4 of everything !!!. Also, I have never been charged import duties on kits purchased from Cruizinimage and they only take 3-4 days to arrive.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »
I take it you mean the aftermarket kits dss sell Julie? It was the genuine Honda kits I priced up that cost the money.
Thanks for the eBay link MeilakJ, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after.
I'll go with that kit first and if it turns out I need any of the other bits I'll bear the cruzin image kit in mind.
Thanks for the replies guys. Luke

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »
The advice I would give is to make sure that, whether you buy full kits or just gaskets, the float bowl gaskets are the pre-shaped type rather than just plain O rings.

They can be a pain to seat correctly.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »
The advice I would give is to make sure that, whether you buy full kits or just gaskets, the float bowl gaskets are the pre-shaped type rather than just plain O rings.

They can be a pain to seat correctly.
Agreed they can take a little patience, but warming them up and perhaps the odd spot of sealant to help keep them in place means the job isn't that difficult.
Even the set that DS sells as a Genuine Part has O rings, it's only their aftermarket 'Repair Kit' that has the shaped gasket.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »
Fair comment, but in the kit I got the O rings were actually slightly oversized and no amount of gasket cement could make them fit without kinking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal