Author Topic: 400/4 downpipes  (Read 1609 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
400/4 downpipes
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
This guy came round to buy the exhausts off my CB500 last week ... gave him a cuppa and we talked bikes for about an hour ... a real Honda nut ! He's got oodles of 400/4's .Nice bloke (well he's a local lad ).,If anyone wants me to have a gander at them he's about 5 minutes away from me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-HONDA-CB400-4-CB-400-FOUR-CB400F-ORIGINAL-DOWNPIPES-VGC-/331778181931?hash=item4d3f854b2b:g:geAAAOSwll1WwMHZ
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:34:35 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 downpipes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »
Nice gesture Ash, a big help I'm sure. If he has good parts I may take you up on that offer at some point. I've just got my downpipes sorted but I'm still needing mudguards, chainguard etc etc.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 05:36:50 PM »
Another auction that got ended early, presumably because he received an offer he couldn't refuse.
I still reckon ending a listing early seems fundamentally wrong, especially when there are already a number of bids on the item.
Guess I'll stick with my Motad replica system (no bargain OEM system to be had this time) but I was wondering what the OEM pipes would fetch.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:59:24 PM by Chris400F »

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »
Agreed!
I bid on the same auction, more for a spare set than anything and I too was interested in what they were worth, on to the next one.

Steve

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:15:33 PM »
Like I said I would have gone round there and 'done the deal' if anyone was interested as he's really close to my house. Must admit I have got people to 'pull' auctions but not with bids already on them and I wouldn't personally pull one of my auctions once there are bids on .
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:44:02 PM »
It's a question of interpretation - to me 'have a gander' is looking to see if the stuff is any good, not doing any sort of deal - but the thought is appreciated.
That's the thing about auctions - bits are worth what someone will pay for them, and sometimes you get lucky.
I've seen stuff (including a couple of OEM exhaust systems) go for far less than I would have expected, and other things go for what seem silly prices

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:15:58 AM »
It's a question of interpretation - to me 'have a gander' is looking to see if the stuff is any good, not doing any sort of deal - but the thought is appreciated.
That's the thing about auctions - bits are worth what someone will pay for them, and sometimes you get lucky.
I've seen stuff (including a couple of OEM exhaust systems) go for far less than I would have expected, and other things go for what seem silly prices

Yea my terminology was a bit sh*te there Chris Sorry about that.  It's always a difficult thing posting stuff like this on here and I told myself to a few weeks ago to only chip in on here with significant resto stuff to post (aka what Bitsa recommended I did  ;D) . TBH I already have a NOS system on my bike but I feel for people who don't have the right bits so try to point them in the right direction if I see anything. Problem is on doing that is you alert everyone to the item/seller so, consequently it could p*ss other people who have seen it already. I chatted to that guy and we agreed that if we ever have something that we think each other needs,  we will discuss it first but obviously he knew I already have a new exhaust. I will ask him why he pulled it and what it went for and also if he has any others to sell off eBay. I talked to a non-forum Honda nut last Saturday and he's just bought a 400/4 bike as a project fitted with a NOS exhaust system included and he only paid £700 for the whole bike, so they are out there still. As you probably know it was me who first spotted the Yamiya 400/4 downpipes, that I assumed were double skinned, and it turned out that they were not. Kenny on here  then bought a set from Saisei (Yamiya via CMS) and they turned out not to fit very well. So, to help out, I removed the std exhaust off my own bike and tried the Yamiya ones out to allow Saisei to convince CMS that there were in fact not a good fit. That's what I like about DS over CMS.. DS appear to have a 'no-quibble' returns policy, non of the 'returns request issue' type b*llocks other traders have. It turned out that the 400/4 Yamiya silencer was made in England by Brituro (now a member on here), so talk about 'Coals to Newcastle'.

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:17:48 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:10:45 AM »
Thanks Ash, I hear what you're saying. I had already spotted the pipes before you posted about them, but that may have been lucky.
The system I have fitted does the job, is nice and shiny and looks much like the real thing until you get close. If I could find a decent OEM system at ideally a bargain price (which is what sometimes happens with auctions) I could be tempted to replace otherwise I will stick with what I have.
Incidentally I see that the NOS system has come up again on eBay, still at £1500. Think I'll give that one a miss ....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal