Author Topic: Disc rotor paint?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Disc rotor paint?
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »
Does anybody know what paint is used for the disc rotor centers on the ST1100? Is it silver or aluminium? Is it a satin or 'flat' finish? Any suggestions as to what can be used?

Picture is just example of discs I am referring to.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Disc rotor paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
Is it silver or aluminium?
Actually glass blasted steel (cause the mat centre section might collect rust if totally neglected ;) ), except those models/years where the spoked area is painted in mat gold metallic.
I use an old toothbrush with a dab chrome-polish to get those spokes back to shape and they hold up/rust free quite well, so never painted some (at ~120Tkm/75Kmiles they "expire" anyway, so not worth the hustle...  ;))
Hint: don't forget the paper-spacers when bolting them back on the wheel!

STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
Is it silver or aluminium?
Actually glass blasted steel (cause the mat centre section might collect rust if totally neglected ;) ), except those models/years where the spoked area is painted in mat gold metallic.
I use an old toothbrush with a dab chrome-polish to get those spokes back to shape and they hold up/rust free quite well, so never painted some (at ~120Tkm/75Kmiles they "expire" anyway, so not worth the hustle...  ;))
Hint: don't forget the paper-spacers when bolting them back on the wheel!

Hi

Thanks for the reply. So that is why they go rusty!

I always thought they were painted, hence my question. I will try your advice of chrome polish (Solvol?) but I guess you will loose the matt finish with polishing?

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
So that is why they go rusty!
LOL!  ;D
I will try your advice of chrome polish (Solvol?) but I guess you will loose the matt finish with polishing?
Not when you gently rub by hand; their quite good steel, so it's only surface-rust that comes off easily.
One could also use toothpaste, or the white, gentle abrasive household cleaning milk (Jif cream?)
Dunno what products you've avail, I used some green chrome polish which contains conservation wax, so they hold up nicely for a year.
Just see to wipe the friction surface clean afterwards  ;)
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal