Author Topic: alternative to spark plug spanners  (Read 3022 times)

jimv50

alternative to spark plug spanners
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
Just bought a genuine Honda spark plug spanner from DSS and then promptly found cheaper alternative on eBay sold as tubular plumbers sockets. No real difference in price overall, but get a selection rather than just the one.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: alternative to spark plug spanners
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »
Got an eBay link?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
Got an eBay link?
Just search for "tubular plumbers sockets" and you will get a load of 'matching' and 'related' listings with varying numbers of parts.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »
Could also search for "box spanners", thats what we used to call them!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:08:51 PM »
That was my thought....
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

jimv50

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
Very good point, 'new' genuine Honda spanner only just fits under the tacho housing and is not knurled. Plugs bloody awkward to get out, unfortunately could not get No2 plug back in all the way. I suspect a lump of carbon stuck in the threads so have ordered 12x1.25 tap to try and clean it out gently.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »
I've made my own box spanners before.  Simply take a steel tube that is slightly smaller than the bolt size you want, heat to red and tap over.

The spanner I use for the Honda is a car one I think and I have taken off the arm from the middle bit and simply use a regular spanner on the top.  There is a part of me which resents paying extra for 'genuine' things.  :)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
I recently bought from Clas Ohlson a Cocraft pass though socket set primarily for working on cars but playing around with it I thought it may fit the plugs on bikes so tried it on a 750\K6 and it works for all the plugs including number three. It's the only ratchet drive I've seen get in there. It's got no plug spanner but a short hollow extension bar which used with 18mm socket fits straight over the plug and to get the ratchet onto number 3 plug you use also the 19mm socket on top of the extension to clear the cam cover.

The sockets are multi node drive as well and will bite on all sort of mangled bolt heads to get some badly deteriorated stuff undone and also fit multi star bolts used on some car brakes. So far it's been one of the most useful things I've bought.

I'd agree with oddjob though and have always used the genuine Honda item and spin the plugs in by hand to avoid getting them crossed as you can feel if anything is wrong then just nip it tight at the end with a Tommy bar. Real pain if they've not been copperslipped to get them out though.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:47:11 PM by K2-K6 »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:44:37 PM »
I have always found a fairly standard (draper I think ) sockett, even on no 3, I agree on using fingers to screw plugs in rather than a socketts and just use a extension bar to grip with my fingers. On engines I have worked on before I often use box spanners as they are cheap and I know the plugs are not going to be gorrilla tight, plus a roll of box spanners lives on the bike so is convienient, and only £10 for a full set they are cheap enough to live on the bike as a pernament tool set without worrying about loss or rust.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal