Author Topic: Cylinder head removed  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Yurkie

• View Profile
Cylinder head removed
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:27:54 PM »
I am working towards doing a full rebuild and repainting of my engine. Currently the cylinder head is off and I am looking for some direction and advice please.

I assume I need to fully remove the valve stems from the guides, and if so how do I do this? I assume this is required to fully inspect the condition of them?

Then what is my best method to clean, decoke, and then also the preparation of the exterior surface for painting?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:38:30 PM by Yurkie »

Offline Yurkie

• View Profile
Re: Cylinder head removed
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:04:03 AM »
These are the images to go with my post which I was unable to upload last night from my iPhone/

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
You need a valve spring compressor .to get them out there's lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do it .if you type in hackaweek cb750 .there's a guy doing step by step videos on restoring one there really good .

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
If the top of the valve stem is "Mushroomed" through use you will need to carefully grind off the mushroom to get the valve out and if that is the case I would replace the valves

Offline Yurkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
@Bryanj ok that makes sense. Can I just push the valve stem out though the guide as it doesn't appear to just want to fall out as I was expecting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yurkie

• View Profile
Cylinder head removed
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »
@yozzer74 yes I've been watching hackaweek, and learning a lot. It's a shame he got the bike already torn down and cleaned up. Although I did watch the aluminium polishing episode today, which I somehow missed before, and he simply uses paint stripper. I am just trying to identify if all the engine was originally black as I appears to have been repainted at some point.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:44:42 PM by Yurkie »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:36:24 AM »
The stem seal tends to make the valve a push fit rather than a slide out fit BUT removing any mushroom is imperative as if you just hit the valve through you will irrepairably damage the guide which are not cheap, require carefull fitting then reaming and valve seats cutting. All this is imatterial if its an F2 as they eat valve guides for a passtime!!

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:10:06 AM »
Bryan is dead on the money about the F2 valves. I assume its an F2, looks like larger valves plus black engine. You didn't say?

The exhaust valves will probably come out whatever as the guides are usually very worn.

This was caused by Honda fitting larger valves to the F2 to pep up the performance of the SOHC unit until the DOHC engine was ready. In doing so, they had to change the rocker geometry to get them in which resulted on a slight sideways push on the valves that wears them out.

There is a permanent repair solution for the F2 valves available from CycleX in the states. Its not cheap but worth it as you don't need to be pulling the engine every 20K miles.

Good luck with the build.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Yurkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 11:38:06 PM »
Yes it's a F2. I see what you mean about not cheap! I'll put them on the list of parts to order. As Bryan suspect the stem ends are mushroomed, so I'll cut them off this weekend to get them out.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
yurkie, i will be listing on ebay lots of new f2 parts soon, i have new pistons and rings valves valve guides, cylinder heads, all sorts of stuff, a NOS f2 exhaust system,NOS body work,, infact i have a complete bike to sell off, engine frame wheels etc
i will put the parts up on hear first but they wont be give away prices as they cost me lots,,
PETE

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 07:14:41 AM »
Don't forget Pete, I have first dibs on the exhaust.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline MICK CLARKE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 11:08:53 AM »
Hi Pete
Will probably be interested in an f2 cylinder head when they come up for sale.
Cheers
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal