Author Topic: NPR Piston Rings ... Any good?  (Read 2881 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
NPR Piston Rings ... Any good?
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:30:24 AM »
Asked DS yesterday what make their pattern piston rings are that they sell and they told me NPR made in Japan. Are these any good ? ...always try to go for Riken but DS reckon that the NPR ones are good quality.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: NPR Piston Rings ... Any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
Asked DS yesterday what make their pattern piston rings are that they sell and they told me NPR made in Japan. Are these any good ? ...always try to go for Riken but DS reckon that the NPR ones are good quality.

You will find NPR in most Honda cars and modern bikes as they are a OEM supplier, they also supply Cruzinimage. The last rings that arrived from your favourite company were RIK rings for a 550 but, the last 750 rings were NRP. You can tell this from the style of the oil ring.

NPR are made by Nippon piston ring co. LTD ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:56:48 AM by Trigger »

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:57 AM »
Cor what a truly mine in information.
thanks Trig
ps got the rubber bit.
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:21:50 AM »
I fitted NPR rings about 10,000 miles ago,

seem ok,no nasty smoke,

I am at 60K miles still on standard bores
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:50:14 AM »
BTW this is what 'Hondaman' on the US site says on the one piece rings. He also says his favourite aftermarket rings are MC cycle... oh sh*t I just sold 4 sets of those for 20 quid the lot to get rid as nobody bid on them on eBay:

"The oil ring question: the 1-piece oil rings are expensive to make, for sure. This is the biggest reason the 3-piece type replaced them, according to a retired engineer I met from Perfect Circle in the late 1980s (they used to be REAL big in car engine rings, I haven't rebilt a car engine in a decade, though...). The 3-piece rings have low tension that lets them wear longer IF the bore is properly honed: the machine shop you use must know that, or the difference, which good shops are careful about. I always bring my rings to my guys, as they have 8 different honing techniques and a dozen grits of stones: some of the kits we get today have chrome top rings, some are cast iron, moly, or, in some of my engines, 1-piece oil rings. The 1 piece ring takes a long time to settle in and above 7000 RPM may have trouble routing the oil from the cylinder walls into the oil holes in the ring land (so it can escape from the bore back onto the piston crown area), unless it is CLEAN. This begs the question, of course, of maintenance: if you change your oil like a good boy should, it isn't any grief. If not, the ring can let oil start working past it at high RPM, causing troubles by upsetting the 2nd ring. On the track, this is a killer.

But, on the street, 1-piece has an advantage. The advantage comes in the form of the stiffness of the 1-piece ring: it traps more of the oil under it, wetting the piston skirt slightly better, so improving the heat transfer from the piston to the cylinder. The oil that makes it to the holes in the ring lands then is under quite a bit more pressure, so it keeps those holes flushed out better: I have never seen a clogged oil return hole in a 1-piece oil ring's piston land, but see it often in the 3-piece ring versions. The holes on the latter are marginally closed off by oil debris and need cleaning if being re-used. I have also noticed that the 1-piece oil rings can still rotate on the pistons, but the 3-piece rings NEVER do upon teardown. Thus, I doubt the 3-piece rings rotate, in operation.

The 3-piece rings appear to increase the upper temps of the pistons a little bit, likely due to the lesser oil amounts on the piston skirts. I believe Honda made use of this in the post-K2 engine with the 3-piece rings as part of their 'war' on the "plug fouling problem" in this particular engine (the K0-K1 and early K2 engines (like mine) were famous for sub-1000 mile plug life). In terms of tuning, the K2 with 3-piece rings (post-3/72 production) and the K3 cam, carbs, jetting and spark advancers are all identical, but the K3 did not foul plugs like the K2 always did. Upon teardowns, the K0-K2 (early) has a thickly-coated piston crown (carbon) while the K3 engines show a thinner, light-grey center crust, sometimes even a bare spot in the center. This appears to be from a little more heat, burning off the carbon. The K4-5-6 engines show this in spades.

Another thing I've noticed in engines with the 3-piece rings: by about 20k miles or so, their wristpins are showing measurable wear while the K0-K2 engines with 1-piece oil rings have not only perfect wristpins, but seldom any small-end rod wear. (This doesn't count engines that sat for years, accumulating wetness damage). For years I thought this meant the 1-piece rings were putting MORE oil under the crown to wet those parts, until I went "DUH" one day and realized - the later engine are simply running hotter at the upper reaches of the pistons, hence the extra wear on the pins, too. Sometimes I just feel stupid.."
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
It is common sense that the single oil ring will foul the spark plug and allow more oil up the side of the piston, as it is a single ring and has a gap. The three part ring is over lapped and sealed a lot better, this did give a small problem to the gudgeon pin with a lack of oil. Honda got round this problem, a good example of this can be found  on the CX500 engine where a small hole was drilled in the con rod and the shell to allow a jet of oil to be sprayed up the underside of the piston as the crank rotated  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal