Author Topic: CB500 Cam Journal sizes / rear bearing retainer/Clymer manual  (Read 1065 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Am I going ga-ga in my old age . I can't find the specs in the manual for the CB500 or 550 camshaft bearing  journals and the head/cover  'bearing' diameters?  Maybe I should get a Haynes manual !
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:40:05 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: CB500 Cam Journal sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
Ash, I'm out at the moment, but when I get home I can send you all the specs from the 1972 CB500 FSM If it's any help?
Regards,
Nigel.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
Ash, I'm out at the moment, but when I get home I can send you all the specs from the 1972 CB500 FSM If it's any help?
Regards,
Nigel.

Cheers .. I have looked on my Dropbox Manual but I can't seem to find it in the main manual or supplements. There seems to be everything else, even the spring rates for the clutch springs, as well as the free length , which is useful. but nothing on the cam journals/bearing clearances on cam.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/88zdzlj8olqi8pl/CB500-550_Manual.pdf?dl=0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:10:55 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:07:33 PM »
Youre not going ga ga mate its not speced, all it sez is journals and bearing surfaces must not be gouged or scraped

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB500 Cam Journal sizes / rear bearing retainer/Clymer manual
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:13:54 AM »
Just got a 350-550 fours Clymer service manual off eBay. Never seen one before but pretty good advice in there  definitely worth owning in addition to the Honda one available on my Dropbox link. Like the Haynes manual, no mention of camshaft  journal sizes wear limits etc. though But both do give the cam runout as 0.1mm though.

Will ask on SOHC US forum. I know that the centre journal to cam bearing clearance is different on the centre bearings to the outside ones on the CB750 SOHC (gone into extensively by Hondaman on the US site)

It also clearly states and there's also a diagram indicating  that the rear bearing retainer is 'Staked' in 4 positions and you need to drill out before attempting removal of the retainer (they recommend 1/4" drill bit) .. Oh and its a left hand thread ... but we all knew that anyway  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:41:00 AM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal