Author Topic: Breathers  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Breathers
« on: March 14, 2016, 10:42:52 PM »
Right, a rookie question. My engine has two breathing points, one on the cam cover and one on the crankcase. I am sure that I saw a picture once, quite a while back of the crankcase pipe attached to the oil tank. Is this correct or should both pipes just exit under the bike?
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline Coppertop1234

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Breathers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
I believe the short bottom crankcase breather hose is connected to the bottom of the oil tank
The top cam breather direct to floor or connects to a engine breather housing which has a foam filter inside,this  is located under the battery housing on the F1 /F2   

Cheers

I Love Tinkering with Old Classics

Offline adriangsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »
Coppertop is correct. the crankcase breather goes to the oil tank.
The top breather goes to the breather housing which is as stated connected to the bottom of the battery box.
I also have a pipe coming off the breather housing which oils the chain. Not sure if this is standard or not.  :)
Triumph Thruxton 2004
Honda CB750F1 1976
Honda CB400F   1976 (current project)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »
Thanks for your replies, my problem is that I don't have a standard set up. I am running an aftermarket chopper oil tank and not sure if any oil would come out of the crank breather or how I would connect to my tank. If it is not necessary to connect to the oil tank then that would solve my problem. ;)
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »
What about those little filters you can just connect to engine

Offline MICK CLARKE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:02:26 PM »
Its not necessary to connect the rear breather to the oil tank,the engine breathes from the rocker cover the rear crankcase vent is only used as an over spill for the oil tank and also in the case for the F1/F2 to allow the oil tank to breathe as its sealed by the O ring on the dip stick,unsure if the K series bikes oil cap seals the tank or not.
Cant see any reason why you cant just cap the rear one and run a small K&N type filter on the rocker cover one or go old school Triumph and run an open vent pipe along the frame and exit at the ass end of the bike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal