Author Topic: New Honda cb550f in the family but... Engine rattle!!  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Honda cb550f in the family but... Engine rattle!!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »

If the thing ran perfectly for the last owner last week, then plug caps would be my first port of call, just tighten them on a turn and / or wd40 sprayed up inside the cap - for some reason I had a spate of plug caps fail across 3 differnt bikes in the last 4 years, none previously to that, wd40 seemed to revive them briefly - enough to get home / keep commuting a few weeks. It cannot hurt to do a full service for peace of mind in any case.

I haven't thought about that I will check the plugs tonight.

Thanks!!!

Noelia

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »
Picked up the 550 yesterday from the garage but the engine is  still rattling... Carbs have been balanced, valves and cam chain adjusted.

The mechanic said I need to have a long ride for it to settle and go away, does anyone experienced something like this before?

Noelia

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »
Check there is oil getting to the top end..... best way, I'm not sure without disturbing the rocker cover. Possibly pull the two end caps off and see oil comes out, or just open up the 8 caps for valve adjustment and see if plenty of oil is up there. My first 550 had a nasty rattle that proved to be symptomatic of no oil to half the top end thanks to a blocked oilway, it dropped a valve eventually, the top end was already as rough as a rough thing. I doubt yours is that rough inside but they will run fairly sweet even missing piston rings and scored bores. Sometimes they do settle down to run quiet from a rattly start when serviced. Have you verified all 4 cylinders are sparking properly?
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 09:16:47 PM »
Any bike that comes in to my hands, always has the sump off to see if there is any secrets inside.

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
New Honda cb550f in the family but... Engine rattle!!
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »
I took the bike to a very reputable mechanic in my area, he owns all vintage bikes from a Norton commando to trials and he has had checked all out and said is ok and that the bike needs running to settle as it has only covered like 100 miles per year since 1994... On the way to the garage the bike ran awfully, 1st gear very short and the more I pulled the throttle the less power it had, on the way back it felt much better but the noise was still there. (Only when I'm not accelerating) I will take tomorrow for a ride, I will put new petrol in and I'll cross my fingers for it to go quiet! I'm very frustrated right now, bike wise.

I will let you all know how does it goes tomorrow!!!

Noelia
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:57:30 PM by Noelia »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 10:24:40 PM »
If the bike has not been used since 1994, it is still worth checking the oil is getting to the top end and the clutch plates are free before you blow the top end. No mechanic will check this on a service unless instructed.

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 10:37:06 PM »

If the bike has not been used since 1994, it is still worth checking the oil is getting to the top end and the clutch plates are free before you blow the top end. No mechanic will check this on a service unless instructed.

Trigger I meant the bike has only done about 100 miles per year from 1994 so it has been used very little but even though the owner has services the bike every year prior MOT's

I will ask my mechanic if he has checked if the oil is getting to the top end :) thanks for the tips!

Noelia

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
Just came back from my first proper ride! It is so nice outside!!

So I've noticed that I need to ride with the choke on otherwise it will just stop, so idling needs adjusting, Also when pulling the throttle it chokes at the beginning a little bit then It pulls nicely.
After an hour riding it I came back home and the noise was gone, then I put the choke off and it started doing it again... And the bike stopped.
 What are your thoughts,? I think it is all about carburation?

Noelia

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »

certainly sounds like carbs,

but also check timing ,is it getting fully advanced ??

also,what colour are the plugs?
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 04:09:38 PM »

certainly sounds like carbs,

but also check timing ,is it getting fully advanced ??

also,what colour are the plugs?

I havent checked the valves yet I will pull them out tomorrow!

Noelia

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 04:56:59 PM »
Plugs you mean Noe...leave the valves well alone :-)...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal