Author Topic: Honda Chromed Finish  (Read 1218 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Honda Chromed Finish
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
When you are doing multiple restorations the cost of chroming gets totally out of hand if you are not careful and it actually sometimes cheaper to buy a NOS or pattern part . Some of the smaller bits I had done locally for my 750K0 cost a fortune in 2011 and I always thought that the actual plating was the determining factor but I now realize it’s the fact that chromers spend an age removing the imperfections that Honda never bothered removing that bumps the price right up. It’s only when you do that level of polishing  yourself that you realize how long it takes to achieve that finish on awkwardly shaped parts. Also the resulting part  is something that looks like it came from the ‘Plumb Centre’ rather than Honda. So on my 750K0 its too late now  some chroming is going to be ‘blingy’. Not that I mind that too much but I don’t like overpolished alloy. On my CB250/350’s 500/4 however   I have selected parts that are not too bad to begin with to rechrome  and replace with NOS / nice where available, where they are badly corroded. DK is the best source of used  decent chromed parts IMHO. On smaller parts  I am having  them reverse electroplate stripped and polished myself so that I can A) save loads and B) I  can’t blame the chromer,  if the finish is not what I expected. It was interesting in Edward Turner’s visit to Honda in the ‘60s that he commented that chromed parts were apparently unpolished and the finish was acceptable but not up to British bike standards (see scan attached). I asked the chromer about the ‘cast finished’  finned exhaust clamps preparation for chroming. I had them electro-stripped, dry bead blasted. He told me that what they would then do,  is simply power wire brush them to achieve the ‘factory’ finish. I reckon that is true on a lot of the parts like the kickstart splined part on a CB500/4. I like this guy because he doesn’t treat you like an idiot. He accepts that I have had the old plating professionally removed ( nigh on impossible on some parts if you try to DIY) and that I won’t grumble about the polished finish if he plates them and they are not up to his normally polishing standard. I gave him a kickstart lever and rear brake lever last week that I had ‘prepped’ myself. He told me it would plate fine but the finish would be ‘Jap bike original standard of finish’ I was quite chuffed with that comment,  as it’s too late on my 750 but the 500/4 in particular will be less ‘blingy’.

I know this attention to detail is probably b*llocks to many on here and I fully accept that. I really admire guys like Matt on here who just want to keep their classics on the road as workhorses…It’s exactly what I did when I went everyday to work for about 17 years on my CB250 400/4  & Z650 and was a much younger man  :) . e.g. I rode my CB250K3 around for about a year without a battery, replaced with a 40,000 uF capacitor in its place, as I was saving for a house and every penny counted.

Anyone got any other polishing hints to achieve the ‘factory Honda’ look on chromed parts!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Chromed Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »

I will admit to fear and loathing of the whole process of chrome plating because it's such a lottery.  It seems the risk of having your priceless unobtanium mudguard turned into a wafer thin ruin is unacceptably high.....but you have to do it......that and the places that the chrome can't quite reach which rapidly turn to rust as they have just been through a highly corrosive process.

If you have found a plater who actually does what you ask him to as opposed to what he thinks you should have asked him to do then it's a real find and worth going back time after time.

I did have an excellent local chromer who fully understood Jap finish....I started by taking in some Kawasaki rims, but I also took in a spare nice condition original rim and asked him to copy the finish....not removing any stamped in numbers etc, he achieved it by polishing the rims as normal then very lightly running a linisher over them and in doing so got them just right....I took everything to him and provided I explained fully what I wanted he was always excellent...until he went out of business. :'(

Every other plater I've used has always wanted to achieve the full on 'bathroom taps' finish and seem to find it almost insulting that anyone would ask for an almost basic 'bright chrome' (unpolished) finish.  Since I lost my local bloke I try not to chrome anything and simply hunt for better original parts.....but you are right to persevere if you have found a good plater that you get on well with.

Attention to detail is what makes you look at one bike among hundreds and wonder if it's actually been restored or not...there aren't too many like that....my suggestion would be to always take in a reasonably decent original if you have one to show the plater what you want to achieve.

Mick........kettle738     

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Chromed Finish
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »
I agree with what you say mick, it goes one step further with me i get so anxious about the whole business that i actually get halted in my tracks and give up on the restoration, NOS  chrome work for the bikes is the best way to go, but 1969 wheel rims just do not come up, nor double cut guards, the rest of the parts are available be it repro or honda
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal