Author Topic: Another Optimist  (Read 1978 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Another Optimist
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:50:38 PM »
Looks like a Japanese  Yamiya 'low' style seat to me.  Bike is not even a UK model.Looks really nice though.   Does anyone know one of these that somebody actually parted with that kind of money for ,without P-exing and horse-trading etc? Cos I don't. The market seems to be  bleedin swamped with 'em  ;D. I mean you could have James's lovely CB500K0 and £12k change at that price. Or am I just out of touch?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-K0-/281979732418?hash=item41a74d41c2:g:ABUAAOSwwpdW9R77

Sh*t ..Just realised that's my seat I sold on it  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:06:04 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Another Optimist
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:34:47 PM »
It's really nice, I'm sure it's been on this forum before, 20k is a lot of money but it probably cost a hell of a lot to do, I'm at around 4K on my CR and I've cut every possible corner!, how much do you think that restoration cost?, 15k?
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
 ;) I'm out of touch also ash
if the steel works goes tits up in the next few weeks ,id be happy to get that for all my five k0.s watch this space lol
(i blame greedy tw*ts like we have running the country, for putting us where we are now, they all out to fleece us money grabbers all of them lol
nothing left here in UK I'm ready to sell up and head for Thailand plenty of cheap bikes over there init  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:47:44 PM by steff750 »

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »
I don't think the value of a bike is defined by the cost it consumed to build.

60% new parts......and not even the best ones looking at the seat........for me a new bike and not a 46 year old icon.
cheers, Uli

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »
I sold one for 17.5K and that was 3 years  ago.
X5 KO's Steff ? I will take the lot from you, enjoy Thailand  ;D ;D ;D

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
Hi Guys,
               I`m the optimist that built it . If someone is prepared to pay that sort of figure who am I to argue . As you are all aware the cost of doing it is not always recouped in the sale price ,I am trying to buck this trend of doing it for nothing . This is the third bike I have built and the two previous owners are delighted with their purchases . And yes Ash it was your seat ,and very good it is too . Please do not confuse this bike with an average one ,the difference between wow and so so is huge as far as cost of doing is concerned .The chroming bill alone was £850.00 +vat . I invested over 400 hours into this + parts so I do not see why people complain of my pricing . I understand why some people get upset at the prices as it seems to be pushing up the price of all cb 750`s .
                                                           Sorry for waffle , Cheers ,Alan .

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 02:47:45 AM »
Not waffle at all Alan ..it's good old healthy banter on pricing, which on the K0 seems to have just gone crazy over the last year or so. What baffles me is that there seem to be loads about in the UK now but the price seems to carry on rising. Do you have any other history of the bike to share with us and what's your next 'project' ? Those 750 K0's really are the proverbial money pits so please keep us posted on the sale.

Hope it all works out for you Steff ... The guy I bought my 750K0 from emigrated to Thailand too ! Only found out a few months ago that he only did less than 2K miles on it but owned it from 1976 to 2008. Also found out that the 1st owner bought it in 1970 with full touring gear fitted but after a couple of weeks of ownership decided it was too big and scary for him so he traded it back to Alan Mountains in York for a smaller bike. It was then bought by the 'Pub Landlord' who's in Scarborough but I understand he is a bit miffed that I have it as he was hoping for 1st dibs if it ever came up for sale.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
Hi Guys,
               I`m the optimist that built it . If someone is prepared to pay that sort of figure who am I to argue . As you are all aware the cost of doing it is not always recouped in the sale price ,I am trying to buck this trend of doing it for nothing . This is the third bike I have built and the two previous owners are delighted with their purchases . And yes Ash it was your seat ,and very good it is too . Please do not confuse this bike with an average one ,the difference between wow and so so is huge as far as cost of doing is concerned .The chroming bill alone was £850.00 +vat . I invested over 400 hours into this + parts so I do not see why people complain of my pricing . I understand why some people get upset at the prices as it seems to be pushing up the price of all cb 750`s .
                                                           Sorry for waffle , Cheers ,Alan .

Totally agree with you Alan. A set of wheels can cost £600 these days, with tyres.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 07:21:16 AM »
Is the colour correct  for a 1-1970?
Front fender, ignition switch, heat shields. What pipes does it have, matching number?

Lots of questions regarding that price.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 07:39:12 AM by Sgt.Pinback »
cheers, Uli

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »
Hi Ash,
           The bike came from James H . It needed a complete ground up rebuild . My take on this is that I have saved another bike from the garage of no return ,you know the type that never finishes anything or does not realise just how much it costs .I am not talking about the big stuff that we all know about but the parts that are unseen like a brand new coil pack + caps cost £250  and new bolts throughout including engine mountings at £17 each .
As far as the colour goes I am sure that FTFFROG has got it wrong as one of the Brighton show bikes was gold and that was 1969 I think ..
I am sure this discussion could go on for ages so I will not say anymore for now . I will keep you posted as far as a sale goes though .
                                           Cheers  , Alan .

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
Shame about the seat Alan as I had it on here for sale cheaper to members (as no fees etc) and on VJMC  but I didn't get any takers, even though James commented that it was a bargain at the time so I needed funds for my 7 restos so had to sell it on eBay.

I think I remember that bike of James's and if it's the  one I think it is , you have done a cracking job in double-quick time and I can fully appreciate the costs. I wasn't having a pop BTW ..it's just that James and Trigger keep telling me  and Steff that we are  out of touch with pricing plus put Frank into the equation  on high prices and the absolute bargains DS picks up at auctions for sandcasts and it all gets confusing.

'Anyroad' as we say in Yorkshire  I can spout as much sh*te as I like .. my 750K0 is in a million bits in blue boxes etc  :-[ :-[so you can pick the bones out of it when I eventually  post pics of it assembled  :D :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:24:08 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »
Hi Ash,
            Thanks for that , by the way my first K1 I built I sold to Frank for 14k and was pleased with the sale ,but he now has it up for 20k so I think that tells you about the way I build bikes and the attention to detail that I build in .I am very lucky to be able to spend a lot of time on my builds so things appear to happen really quickly so I apologise to anyone who does not have the time or money to do it .One gets a little out of touch when locked away in the workshop . I hope you have some good fortune with your own build Ash. As an aside ,if anyone needs any info on where to get certain parts from (k0-k1) I am only too happy to oblige .I think I can now source virtually all the parts for these bikes .
                                                          Cheers , Alan .

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »
Great job alan the bike looks awesome, sgt pinback pointed out about some items which are from later models,and with a closer look he is right,  however it still looks amazing and remember any bike is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay, ash is right though the market is flooded with them lately, i also have 3 early 750,s all of them 1969 bikes, i do hope i can achieve the same sort of prices for them, cause they cost so much money to restore and so much time to get right and i am hoping to cash them in for a small pension fund one day, good luck with the sale fella
pete

Offline neat street

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »
Hi Alan
Nice to see you are happy to share your info on spares, keep contact with this forum, they are all great guys (and girls), any assistance to rebuilds is always welcome. As to the price, I suppose that is irrelevant to a degree, as if anything is too high, it just won`t sell?
best wishes to you all
John
CB500 1973
CB750F 1976
KLX250 1983
Lambretta SX200
Mini Mayfair 1984

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
Only 1 buyer needs to agree the asking price to be worth it. A fully restored machine is a different animal to what I own or aspire to. That said I have a 500/4 k0 that is a uk bike and they might start to follow suit, if they do, I might change my tune on that, for now I am content to not break it up for parts which was what I originally bought it for. Value is a relative thing, when I bought it it was a high price for a ratty old wreck, since comparable bikes now get 4 times that price now I geuss they are investments in monetary terms rather that just a handy pile of spares for a ratty old bike I ran to get to work. Good luck if you can get a decent price on the finished article.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal