Author Topic: Liner O/Dia  (Read 980 times)

Offline masonmart

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Liner O/Dia
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:15:25 PM »
I'm doing a renovation on a 500 or 550 that at some time has had a big bore kit of unknown origin fitted. As mentioned, the existing cases had been crash damaged and I've bought some good ones from a broker to replace them. So far so good - except the cylinders don't fit into the crankcases, not far off but not close enough to set the barrels on to the cases without major down force. Not only that but the liners don't seem to be well aligned in the block when checked with a straight edge. After a lot of work I can slide the liners into the cases but not with the dowels in place so more work needed. When I check the liners they should fit eventually but there's some ovality.

Can anybody help me with whether the 500 and 550 cases and liners before boring should be the same? Did the 600cc kits need larger liners? Is this tight fit normal for these engines?

Hate to mix questions on one thread but I'd like to take out the cylinder studs before blasting and painting the cases. The breaker had tried and sheared one and getting it out was really, really difficult. Is there any handy way other than masses of heat, penetrating oil and force?
Dresda CB500-4, 605 cc
CB-77, 350 cc
1968 Bonneville
1976 Thruxton Velocette
1974 Kawasaki Avenger
1997 VFR 750

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Liner O/Dia
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »
The studs are very tough to remove without breaking. 500 cases are too small for 550 barrells or so I was told by a chap  I sold some 550 cases to, he had made 550 barrels fit 500 cases by grinding the cases - I think, was a while ago now, at the time he was welding up mums car and I was more interested in getting shot of surpus parts and possible discounts. I suspect big bores might have been involved somewhere. I have dropped 600cc barrells into a 550 set of cases with the thought of putting together a cheap big bore engine but persued it no further as of yet, but they dropped right into place. I would expect everything to be pretty in line and accurate.
Last time I looked hard cb550 engines were cheaper than buying very many engine bits, but that was a while ago, I have enough engines to not look for any more, but before investing much more in yours I would look carefully what else might need work and consider a donor engine. It does sound odd to me for liners to be oval or out of line with each other.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Liner O/Dia
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »
The "Big Bore" 605 kits (which are less than 605) liners will fit into a 550 but not 500 cases unless opened out, you can bore a 500 to take 750 pistons(which is the 605) but the liner gets VERY thin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal