Author Topic: Cb550 front brake  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Glynnrg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Cb550 front brake
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
Long time since I've had a bike with a single pot calliper should you be able to pull the lever virtually right to the grip?
Recently stripped the calliper cleaned it up put in new seal and new washers on the banjos and bled it through dosnt seem to be any air in the system but the lever seems to pull in a long way?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cb550 front brake
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »
Long time since I've had a bike with a single pot calliper should you be able to pull the lever virtually right to the grip?
Recently stripped the calliper cleaned it up put in new seal and new washers on the banjos and bled it through dosnt seem to be any air in the system but the lever seems to pull in a long way?

it may be the pads aren't bedded in,

does the wheel spin freely?
you could try loosening the two mounting bolts,to give about 6mm gap,then pump the leverso the piston grips the disc,then gradually
do the bolts up again,it sometimes flushes bubbles back up the system,be careful not to splash the bike with brake fluid !!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »
Have you adjusted the caliper setting bolt correctly? How old and what type of hoses are fitted?
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Glynnrg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »
Not sure how old the hoses r as I bought a box of bits But they're not new not sure about the calliper screw?
The wheel spins freely and stops when I pull the lever in but seems t pull in a long way but I've not got anything to co pair with
Thanks

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »
Start by adjusting the caliper setting bolt. To do that, slacken the locknut, then using a screwdriver, screw the bolt anti clockwise, until the fixed pad is touching the disc, then clockwise a fraction so that a 6 though feeler gauge is a sliding fit between the disc and fixed pad. Hold the screw and tighten the locknut. Then pump the brake lever a couple of times, then how does it feel?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Offline Glynnrg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
The calliper bolt is adjusted still pulls in a long way?
Check what on the upper mounting bracket?
Cheers

Offline Glynnrg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 07:49:07 AM »
Thanks i'm pretty sure that's ok but Ill Double check

Offline Glynnrg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 07:54:04 AM »
Just noticed that with the mastser cylinder lid off when the lever is pulled in fluid is flicked up from the master cylinder is this telling me it is sucking air from somewhere ?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »
That tells you that the tiny hole is not blocked

Offline Glynnrg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 06:46:32 PM »
can't work out where the air is as the brake seems very spongy

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »
If the hoses are more than a few years old (black rubber type) they can get weak and expand under pressure and give the symptoms of a spongy lever even if there is no air in the system. The only way to find out is to renew the hoses, if you're not bothered about originality use braided stainless covered ones, they have far greater resistance to expansion, and are a useful upgrade.

Offline Glynnrg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 07:37:12 PM »
Thanks is this a common problem?
Is there any things I might need to check?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
Rubber brake hoses SHOULD be changed every 3 years for safety reasons, a lot of people wait until they start to crack with age or fail the M.O.T. for it, They are cheap to replace, and make an incredible difference to the braking, which is never a bad thing on a bike!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:14:14 PM »
Rubber brake hoses SHOULD be changed every 3 years for safety reasons, a lot of people wait until they start to crack with age or fail the M.O.T. for it, They are cheap to replace, and make an incredible difference to the braking, which is never a bad thing on a bike!
Believe it or not, mine are on since 1976 and show no cracks.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
Believe it or not, mine are on since 1976 and show no cracks.
I believe you, if they are protected from direct sunlight, they don't suffer as much from cracking caused by U.V. degradation, but if you fitted new hoses you would certainly notice a difference!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal