Author Topic: F2 replacement reg/rec  (Read 1889 times)

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
F2 replacement reg/rec
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:08:44 PM »
Hi All,
The battery on my '77 F2 isn't charging , at MOT time the mechanic said it was the regulator/ rectifier , Ive bought a solid state one from M & P accessories which has a block of three yellow wires plus one red and one green wire going into it connector, so the block has five male spade connectors , additionally there is also one white wire and one black wire, can anyone confirm where all of these go? Ive just taken a peek under the side panel and there are scotchlock connectors in there and modern spade type fuses spliced inline with wires so in short a mess so I'm thinking that over the years the wiring has been buggered about with and I cant be sure whats what .

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: F2 replacement reg/rec
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
This is on the assumption that it's the same as a 550.......

The block should plug into the socket previously used by the rectifier. The black wire and white wire should go to the wires of the same color that currently go to the regulator, the green to the old regulator is now unused.

The green must be a good earth and the black must be a good switched live, the voltage is sensed across these wires and will be too low or too high if either has a poor connection at some point.

A poor connection may be the route cause of your problem not the reg/rec, or the original reg may be out of adjustment. On my bike I had both of these issues, and the same as you I bought a modern unit first which was not needed - and in my case doesn't work properly anyway so I'm back to the original parts.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »
Thanks Totty, very helpful , that gives me the confidence to take a deep breath and dive in because at least now I know what I'm  looking for or what it should look like so I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Offline exelbyt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
This is on the assumption that it's the same as a 550.......

The block should plug into the socket previously used by the rectifier. The black wire and white wire should go to the wires of the same color that currently go to the regulator, the green to the old regulator is now unused.

The green must be a good earth and the black must be a good switched live, the voltage is sensed across these wires and will be too low or too high if either has a poor connection at some point.

A poor connection may be the route cause of your problem not the reg/rec, or the original reg may be out of adjustment. On my bike I had both of these issues, and the same as you I bought a modern unit first which was not needed - and in my case doesn't work properly anyway so I'm back to the original parts.

Is the reg/rec the same for the 500? I am having charging issues and cant see why! What was the final issue with the modern unit you installed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »
My issue was it regulated reliably, but at too low a voltage.
Never did find out of all models were the same. 550 standard system very simple once the penny drops on how it all works good clean earth and good clean switched live essential.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:37:15 PM »
The rectifier & regulator on the F2 as standard are seperate units. Luckily the regulator is adjustable. Just attach a variable voltage PSU to the input & a multimeter to the output & adjust the screw so that you get a higher voltage before it trips over. Easy to do  ;)
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
The rectifier & regulator on the F2 as standard are seperate units. Luckily the regulator is adjustable. Just attach a variable voltage PSU to the input & a multimeter to the output & adjust the screw so that you get a higher voltage before it trips over. Easy to do  ;)
Simple procedure to do if you just happen to have a reliable variable voltage PSU hanging about.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal