Author Topic: Addressing the smoking  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Addressing the smoking
« on: April 17, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »
Hi there, have not been near the 400f for months, back now to solve the smoking issue. Removed head and barrels to find a damaged scraper ring on cylinder number 1, looks like it was damaged on installation. There was also a missing circlip on the gudgeon pin!, amazingly the bore is ok but I intend to have them all honed and new rings fitted. I have a couple of questions for you experienced guys.
How can I tell if it has been rebored previously? I was thinking there would be a stamp on the piston, but can't see anything.
The other thing is I can only find 11 head washers and I suspect one of them has fallen down the cam chain channel, if this is the case could I retrieve it through the sump?
The internals of the engine do look in really great shape, virtually no wear on the cam and it also looks like new pistons. Any other advice on what I should do at this stage would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Addressing the smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »
Check for size at the gaps on the rings if only N its standard  or 25;50;75;100 are the oversizes or you will have to measure the bore.

Yes if the washer went all the way down you can remove the sump to try and find it

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 07:26:54 PM »
Thanks Bryan, that is helpful, will check it shortly

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »
I measured the bores and it looks like cylinder  1 = 50.95, C2 = 51.47, C3 = 51.00 and C4 = 51.50. Is it me or does this seem strange? I am not sure what to do with this, Looks like someone has put another liner in as there are some marks at the base of it. Any advice would be gratefully received, would it be best to get the barrel into a machine shop and everything set up evenly?
Any thoughts on the 466cc big bore kit?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:56:34 PM by Johndoc »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »
Way to much variation to be accurate mate unless some PO has been a real b*stard and not bored all cylinders, try measuring the piston skirts that may be easier for you

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
Cheers Bryan, two of the pistons are 50.5 and the other two are 51 dead! Yea a real botch up, was thinking the big bore kit might be the best and most economical way to go? I do want to keep the bike as original as possible.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
A big bore kit seems slightly at odds with keeping the bike as original as possible.
I concede that the Cruzinimage kit looks good value, don't know why they don't seem to have non big bore pistons any more.
Not sure if carburation changes are needed if you go down the big bore route, someone on here will tell you.
Standard bore is 51mm; if you could get away with 2nd oversize (+0.5mm) then DS have pistons to suit (coincidentally they show 4 in stock right now).
Guess that may be a question for a machine shop.
I have seen larger pistons available but they are more expensive and you need to search, but there are some out there.

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »
Thanks Chris, good to hear from you. I will have a look at DSS, yes it seems strange that the Cruzinimage do not do a non big bore kit. I have read good reviews on the big bore kit, little or no other changes needed, would be good to hear from someone who has carried this out and what their thoughts are on it. It works out far less to do it this way and if what I am reading is correct the engine feels the better for it. The other problem it solves for me is to get the cylinders in balance as I am not sure what has gone on exactly with them. I am taking a guess that two of the bores have been taken out to the first oversize and the other two are standard, but I am just not sure.
Incidentally does anyone know of a machine shop in Central Scotland or a mail order company who could do this work?

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »
Finally got it all sorted out. Turns out the bores were all standard size and in really good condition, machine shop honed the barrels and new Honda piston rings fitted, even the last washer from the head turn up, it was lying on the ramp!. Bike now back together and sounds as sweet as a nut. Just some minor jobs to do and then up for an MOT. Thank you guys for your input.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 11:21:13 PM »
That's good to hear, I'm glad it all went to plan in the end.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal