Author Topic: Throttle Slide Small Screws holding needle - cant get out - screw head bu******  (Read 2204 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
I need to change circlip position on my needles but one of the small 3mm screws is rounded off. The one right at the bottom.

I could try and drill the head off but I am a bit reluctant to put the slide  in a vice in case I squeeze to hard and damage the slide. The slides are not cheap to replace methinks

Any other bright ideas !!ideas !!
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Get a set of rubber vice jaws. That screw is in such an awkward place I can't think of any solution other than drilling it.

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Get a left handed drill bit. As it bites it will wind out the screw.

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
Paul,

I did the same at the weekend and had a similar problem with one of those little inaccessible screws.  You may find a very sharp tap with the sharpest screwdriver that  you can find may free it off - worked for me.  I sat the slider on top of plenty of rags to protect the lower chamfered edge of the slider and then through an open vice to support it before giving it a tap.

Hope you get it sorted - raising the needles on my 400 by 1 step really helped to improve the mid range and allowed me to lean off the air screw to improve idle.

Andy

Offline keithK2

• View Profile
Paul,
I have had some success with a long-nosed pair of mole-grips. If one screw is removed you can turn the needle holder slightly to (sometimes) free the screw the other stuck screw.

Good luck,

Keith

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Bought a set of JIS screwdrivers even with a mushed head got screw out easily

Right tools always make life easygoing  :) :) :)
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
I've had for many years a T handled screwdriver to fit the engine case screws on these engines and as you say it makes a big difference to working with them and has never damaged the heads so almost everything is easier to work on with it.

If you wanted to hold something like the throttle slide as in your original post you can make a quick jig by boring a hole the right size in a piece of 4x2 softwood then cutting a slot through into one side of the hole, when you then put the slide into the bore you can either pinch it across the slot with a woodscrew or clamp it in a vice. It will hold it really tight and not damage it, that goes for anything cylindrical really. If you think about the top clamp on the front fork leg then that's the sort of thing you'd be making.

At least you've got it sorted anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal