Author Topic: Setting timing on a piranha ignition  (Read 1544 times)

Offline gordo

• View Profile
Setting timing on a piranha ignition
« on: April 24, 2016, 07:06:48 PM »
Does anyone know how you check/set the timing on a piranha electronic ignition. Tried looking everywhere for a manual but no luck. Cheers Gordon

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Setting timing on a piranha ignition
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »
Most electronic systems required a strobe linked to the HT leads to check them when engine is idling as without this you can't easily see the trigger point.

If you mean markings? Usually when pulsed with strobe you'll easily see something that can be matched to the crankcase TDC casting mark.

Not sure if that's what you meant?

Offline gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:27:14 PM »
Cheers for the reply but that's what has me confused it's a light activated ignition from what I can gather so I can't use a strobe.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:02:36 PM »
Have you tried it with a strobe as the HT "flash" should come after the trigger circuit has completed so there should be nil crossover in theory.

Is it an light onto sensor to trigger or a chopper disc making a light extinguished trigger event?

Have you seen it (the strobe output) interfere with triggering?

If you can get a voltmeter probe into the plug that connects to the loom you should also be able to time it on that by going earth probe into plug and pos probe onto battery pos to see it switching and check that against timing marks.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 11:24:27 PM »
can you get someone to control the throttle,while you use the strobe,

if you hold the  strobe in one hand,and a piece of card to hold over the  trigger area ,

so as it runs,you can check the advance,and shield the trigger from the flashes of the strobe.

is that possible??

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:27:24 PM »
Cheers for the advice guys, will grab myself a strobe and give it a go.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:12:19 AM »
I would think that you would be OK as long as you don't point the strobe beam into the optical units on the backplate.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:17:43 AM »
This is from the NewTronics (formerly Piranha) website.

Q: How do I time up my new ignition system?

Timing your new ignition system is the same as for points - consult your  manual.

When timing the engine, you should be out of direct bright light, and when timed up, all covers need to be replaced on the engine before it is taken outside and run, or it will not run correctly. The triggers/pick-ups in the system use infra-red light, and an outside source of light will interfere with them.

When timing a two stroke that has the timing marks near where the triggers are located, the static method should be used, preferably with a dial gauge for accuracy. Using a strobe light can cause false readings, as the strobe will be shining on the triggers. A strobe light is only necessary for engines that have a mechanical advance and retard system and not for 2 strokes, which nearly always fire at the same point throughout the revs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal