Author Topic: Dyna coils  (Read 767 times)

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Dyna coils
« on: June 01, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »
Hi I'm thinking of buying these coils does anyone no if they will work with a points ignition on a cb750 f2 .Cheers

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Dyna coils
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:30:52 PM »
Coils

Offline Jontyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
Hi Yozzer

I've been looking at this since I need to replace both my coils at some point because they're old and knackered. From what I've read they will work but the original ignition system prefers higher resistance units (specifies 5ohms I believe). I've not found any newer coils that are 5ohm, however. The only potential drawback is that they will pass greater current and, likely, reduce the life of the points to some degree. That's all I've managed to discover so far. I think when the time comes I'll probably replace both the coils and the ignition with matching parts.

Greebo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
Hi Yozzer

I've been looking at this since I need to replace both my coils at some point because they're old and knackered. From what I've read they will work but the original ignition system prefers higher resistance units (specifies 5ohms I believe). I've not found any newer coils that are 5ohm, however. The only potential drawback is that they will pass greater current and, likely, reduce the life of the points to some degree. That's all I've managed to discover so far. I think when the time comes I'll probably replace both the coils and the ignition with matching parts.

Yes I agree,
Replacing coils with so called upgrades  wont give any added performance or BHP unless you go the whole hog with many other upgrades & mods.
Also worth remembering that some of these after market coils are a different size to stock coils & may not fit in the original location without alterations

I have the david silvers electronic ignition with the stock & "original" coils & they work perfectly well
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:02:07 AM by Greebo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal