Author Topic: Trouble mounting new HM 323 pipes  (Read 7191 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble mounting new HM 323 pipes
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 05:54:33 AM »
Its probably the side on view showing the bends that would be better Ash

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 06:56:49 AM »
I had some issue with my CMSNL pipes and the brackets I got from eBay Italy

Here is where I went wrong and how I then got it right.

Firstly I started with the lhs and wrongly put the no 2 cylinder outside the frame (it should go INSIDE FRAME) this is an easy mistake to make and will NEVER fit. Then I tightened up the exhaust flanges fully and the fitted brackets and it was all bad as your description with the interconnect pipes miles out. This was wrong approach and actually ended up bending a bracket slightly.

Here is how I did it right. Make sure the number 2 Pipe lies inside frame, put exhaust headers on but do NOT fully tighten yet just get them located but leave some waggle slack. Now put brackets on making sure they go inside AND outside rear rest bracket.

Now gradually tighten all up and should be ok. Oh and yes I did end up bending one of the brackets back a bit but think that is because I bent it in my first bad fit attempt.

Mine fit pretty well now except I never did get the connecting pies on lhs exactly in line and also I had to fettle a small bracket to extend the place where the main stand rubber goes as the main stand was missing the rubber and whacking the pipes.

Just needs patience and some fettling

Hope this helps
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:43 AM »
and wrongly put the no 2 cylinder outside the frame (it should go INSIDE FRAME) this is an easy mistake to make and will NEVER fit.
I disagree on this. Decades ago I made that mistake myself and never knew it. Exhausts worked perfectly and when I took them of, I could see by inspecting the gaskets that the headers had made full contact. Now, that I wanna do it as Sohron describes, the brackets are distorted somewhat and now I can't get it right. Wish I never started it and had left them the way they were, even if it was't according to the book. You may be interested to read this thread: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,9170.msg63297.html#msg63297
BTW, CB500s that have the balance pipes precisely in line are rare and were rare, even on new bikes back then.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:13:28 AM by deltarider »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
Its probably the side on view showing the bends that would be better Ash

Here goes:- couldnt use Julies wedding dress background  though    :-[ :-[

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
Since one SOHC parts supplier here in Holland gave me the wrong answer and another dodges the question, I would like to know how our bikes new from the factory line were crated, with the exhausts mounted or without? It could be that back then even dealers didn't know what to do with it and have mounted them wrongly.

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 11:14:13 AM »
Cheers Ash, I'll compare when I get home. Not sure about those boxes of half balls - sounds painful!
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
Cheers Ash, I'll compare when I get home.
Is it my eyes or did Ashimoto put them on unlevel ground/

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 12:53:07 PM »
Cheers Ash, I'll compare when I get home.
Is it my eyes or did Ashimoto put them on unlevel ground/

two wall tiles both on same level +/- 0.5mm  ;)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
If you have a copy of the set up instructions it shows how they came, removed were:

Front wheel
Front mudguard
Handlebars with switch gear Master left dangling with little bracket
Headlamp
Rear light
Small parts

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
Thanks Bryan, was too lazy to look it up.

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 06:46:32 PM »
Comparing Ash's original brackets to my re-pro ones there is quite a difference, which would explain the problems I was having. Good thing is Ash has given me a great comparison to try and get them right to fit better.

On a side note I emailed CMSNL about exhaust gases leaking from the muffler studs, and they are looking into it. Said they have not come across this before. Perhaps someone or something was against me with this project!  :-\

Alan
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
Ashimoto and Honda Al, thank you very much, both of you. Your posts with photo's are the best I've seen in a long, long time.

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
Ashimoto and Honda Al, thank you very much, both of you. Your posts with photo's are the best I've seen in a long, long time.

Is it my banana that's made you say that?  ;)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »
Here are my scans of fitting details on the repro pipes  I bought from DS for anyone who doesn't have them

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »
Same instructions as CMSNL mufflers. I also had a nice letter personally thanking me for buying the product.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal