Author Topic: nos tank  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: nos tank
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
NOS NO, never seen a new tank that came with tank trim and me thinks that looks like a tank liner, or are my eyes playing tricks on me ?
Can see orange peel on one of the side panels and tank, also can see on the right side of the tank were the original stripes were.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:26:04 PM by Trigger »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »
I will admit I thought the side panels were defiantly suspect...
I though the tank looked ok..very expensive but alright. .can't see if it's a liner but I am looking at it through varifocals and a phone screen ...

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:33:02 PM »
Sorry, but this is actually really a NOS tank.

The lines you see are the ending of the stickers.
The orange shine on the sidecovers is correct; that is what candy garnet brown looks like without basepaint.

Interesting to see that the top layer in clear is very orangeskin - like.
Base of the colour is also correct: green metallic.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:15:23 AM »
Ok, still learning every day.

One sidepanel on the inside is indeed very dirty.
And all the lock and trim... ok you're right.

Offline Darkness

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
Hi Oddjob
I don't doubt your experience, though you haven't had the benefit of seeing these items which you seem keen to dismiss.
You are correct about the trim: I fitted that myself after I bought the tank from David Silver many years ago. 
The tank is definitely New Old Stock.  It's still in its original Honda box with plastic bag and paper/foam protection.  It has also got a very old piece of pvc tape over the tap holes.  The inside of the tank is bare steel: it is not painted or coated?
I can't see any ghosts of old lines on the tank, nor in the photo's.  There are plenty of reflections of the conservatory roof and furniture though.
The side panels were bought by me as New Old Stock, but were not wrapped and I agree they have become a little dirty.
I don't believe they have ever been fitted to a bike though as there is no marking of the paint to suggest badges have ever been fitted, and there are no marks or scratches on the mounting lugs from use. 
They may 'come wrapped in a sealed bag with part number.....', but only till someone takes it out and puts it on a shelf. 
Regarding price, you can try an offer if you like as the eBay listing allows that, but I don't have to sell so won't be giving them away.

Menno: don't be too quick to accept "expert" opinion.  It's useful to consider but isn't always based on all of the facts.

Sorry Menno but I've handled hundreds of NOS tanks, most were for insurance jobs. None ever came complete with trim, the paintwork whilst fine is not factory finish IMO, the panels have clearly been used, again I've handled loads of them. When new they are very very clean on the inside, those are dirty and it's ingrained dirt which indicates they have fitted and the bike ridden. Plus, as Graham has said, the paintwork is not good enough for factory finish. I sold 2 NOS side panels last year  1 was Jade Green and the other black, I'd had them for over 20 years and they were so far better than those that those aren't even in the same league. The colour of the inside of the tank is also wrong, it's not gunmetal grey like that, more a sort of yellow/bronze colour.

I still have a NOS Flake Sunrise Orange CB550F panel, the inside is pristine, the come wrapped in a sealed bag with part number and the panel is always wrapped in a unique type of paper, sort of a combination of tissue paper and brown paper, very very soft but giving plenty of protection.
CB 500 Four K1 - In more pieces than shown, but now shinier.
'93 m900 Monster in red - Original and best of breed.
'95 Cagiva Elefant 750

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 07:29:51 PM »
Ha Ha Laughing my socks of at all this... Someone on here suggested 'I get a room' this week ..suggest you guys do the same !  ;D ;D ;D
Welcome to the SOHC debating society all of you new members !
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »
I think you need to photograph the tank again in the sun light as it still looks like orange peel to me but, I don't think it will make the side panels look any better though.
Hold on, just read your description and it states:  It has only been taken out of the box by me for photographs, and there is a note on the box that David Silver spares checked it before selling to me. Nothing about fitting the tank trim ::)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:26:46 PM by Trigger »

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 09:10:11 PM »
The good news though is that it's free P&P!!!! Seriously though if I wanted a "new" tank I'd buy one and get it painted by one of the experts for half the cost.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »
Shite, just realised it is £1,250, I was reading £125 ??? I bought a NOS one 18 months ago for £150, that is some inflation rate, me thought it was running at about 0.9%.

Offline Darkness

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 12:10:27 AM »
There are no photo's of the underside of the tank as eBay limit the number of pictures and I thought the shiny bits more impressive.

I took some photo's of the underside in response to a query from a potential purchaser, so here you are:

The box has its UPS postmark dated 31st July 1972.
CB 500 Four K1 - In more pieces than shown, but now shinier.
'93 m900 Monster in red - Original and best of breed.
'95 Cagiva Elefant 750

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »
Those are the pictures you should of put on fleabay, the orange peel look has gone and the underside shows its originality.
Also we have had someone trying to pull the wool over our eyes on this so called NOS tank >>http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,10226.0.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:22:02 AM by Trigger »

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »
I must admit I was amused like Ash at this when the vendor popped up. Fair do's and welcome, good you had the chance to  protest your innocence!

A really educational post to follow for the trainee anorak. How exciting! ;)
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »
This site is a education on what you should be looking for when buying NOS parts.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
Wait... I was right?  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal