Author Topic: Confused by my indicators.  (Read 1394 times)

DaveB

Confused by my indicators.
« on: April 02, 2017, 11:18:07 PM »
I'm still finding out much about the CB750K6 I've purchased and I'm sure I will be for some time, but I am currently confused by the indicators and another anomaly.

The bike is I understand a K6 (manufactured in Dec 75) for the US market.

First the indicators. Having a good look around the forks and headlamp area I came across what I now understand is a warning buzzer for the indicators. However, I can find no way to make it sound. Assuming for now it's not faulty or there's a wiring problem, the user manual (downloaded PDF for a 76 CB750) makes reference to a range of movement beyond the normal switch position in which the buzzer will be activated.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

However, the switch on my bike doesn't have this additional movement. It switches left right or middle with no other positions available.

I'm just curious if this could mean anything about the age of the bike or if it's had a new switch unit from the wrong year fitted?

Second point is the throttle switch unit which is fitted with a screw to tighten the throttle grip (it seems). Yet, I can't find mention of this in the user guide. Does this also point to replacement switches or something to do with years?

Sorry for the questions, I'd just like to understand my bike and all it's foibles.

Thanks,

Offline Frank1e

• View Profile
Re: Confused by my indicators.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:17 AM »
I cant see how you will have a separate switch position for buzzer function.
buzzer should work from main indicator switch  to flasher relay..proabley more than likely etc..
good luck  :)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:52:33 AM »
If you never ask a question, you will never find the answer.
The buzzer should work automatically when you operate the indicator switch but, many people find them a pain in the arse and disconnect them. Or it doesn't work anymore.
I have a UK, K6 in original condition and when I have time later will put some pictures of the switches on this page. 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:04:49 AM »
These are UK, K6 switches but, a little different than the USA units.

DaveB

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Thanks guys. The left hand switch pod on mine looks identical to the UK one. The right is different in that I can't turn the headlight off. I can't see from from the photo if the there is a throttle tightening screw underneath?

Even the circuit diagram for the K6 (as well as K1 to K5) indicates (oops) there should be separate positions on the switch...

L1/R1 are without buzzer and L2/R2 are with.

It just seems very odd that the diagram and user guide would refer to this second position when it doesn't physically exist on the switch.

Regards,

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:53:23 AM by DaveB »

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
Your right hand switchgear is for the American market where the headlamp is on permanently as long as the bike is switched on.
To test the buzzer, connect it directly across the battery.   It comes on when the flashers are flashing but a lot of riders disconnected them as they attracted too much attention when stationary.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
I seem to remember Bryan J mentioned a notice from Honda about disconnecting them on U.K. bikes for some safety reason.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:15:13 AM »
Years ago I was told that indicator buzzers stopped being used as they sounded the same (or similar) as the buzzers at pelican crossings and blind people may mistakenly walk out into moving traffic.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
It just seems very odd that the diagram and user guide would refer to this second position when it doesn't physically exist on the switch.
I think the position does exist on the switch but the wording may be a bit confusing.
This is the wording from the 400 handbook - it doesn't have the buzzer but I'm pretty sure the switch works the same way.

DaveB

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »
All good info. Thank you. I will have a look and see if it's been disconnected. To be honest, I'm not sure I want one working for the reasons described above, but I was just curious about the matter having found it.

Chris400F. Thanks for that. The drawing does appear very similar so might well be what they meant.

Thank you all.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
It's a cruise control.   There's one on my K75
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Dazza215

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
I've had the same issue with my indicators on the K5 USA.
I just replaced the relay with one like this and no more beeping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLASHER-RELAY-For-LED-INDICATOR-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-BIKE-RESISTOR-2-PIN-12V-new-/151993812626?hash=item2363898692:g:WScAAOSweW5VcXUW
I dont ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride to add life to my days.

Offline priestley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
The U.S.A. k2 has a button on the left switch housing which when pushed cancels the buzzer.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
I like my buzzer it sounds like a strangled cat and pisses my mates off when I pull up at the side of them.  :)

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 07:15:19 PM »
I have attached a coloured wiring image from the Clymer manual (CB750 K6) which indicates..!..sorry...left,1 + left,2  & right,1 + right,2 (brown/blue=buzzer circuit)
The 1st position will operate the indicators,  the 2nd position  operates the indicators & buzzer. (I have a K4 and it's not fitted with this type of switch)
As previous post, the K2 (USA) version did have a lower push switch to omit the buzzer, and the throttle friction adjuster was discontinued after K4.

Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal