Author Topic: Points versus Boyer  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Points versus Boyer
« on: November 02, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »
Hi All, I guess this has been around a few times, so apologies to those who are fed up with it.
I am trying to get the dwell angle and strobe timing to work on my K1. New points plate etc fitted.
Is it worth junking this and going straight to a Boyer. (Where do most fit the box?) On the US forum, there is a large article relating to the Dyna system as to where it causes sparks to reduce as rpm increase, so I ahve dismissed the Dyna.
Thoughts comments gratefully received
Cheers
Seamus

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Points versus Boyer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »
I wouldn't dismiss the Dyna (don't forget that there are two versions, the "S" and the "2000"). Z1 Enterprises have the Dyna S at $120 which replaces the points plate (no other boxes)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »
I use the "S" on my replica racer and with good succes, good spark allround, very good starting. Enjoying it.
Have a Boyer for my Turbo projekt but think I eventually will go for a "2000"
Better sorry for failing than for the lack of trying.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I understand that the Dyna S replaces the points, but is'nt there a recommendation that you also replace the coils to ensure sgood high speed running? or do the standard coils work OK. I have a 70 K1 (US import).
Does the 2000 system have a black box (a bit like the Boyer)
Again, I am open to advice from folk who have been down this road before.
Cheers
Seamus

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »
To be honest, unless you want to race or do high mileages i dont see the point(sic) in shelling out good money on electronics when the contact sets are as reliable as they are---yes they do need maintainence but they also rarely go totaly tits up and strand you in the middle of nowhere and yes i agree getting the gap and timing spot on can be a nause if you dont do the job regularly and have a good "feel" for using gauges but then practice makes perfect and you have to have a strobe to set the electronics which you dont need for the standard set up.

I'm guessing lots of folks will shout me down on this but i do low miles and live with the contact set up!

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:11 AM »
My 550 runs and starts fine with the contacts.

Starts on the button or the kick every time and revs cleanly all the way to the red.

I check them every thousand miles or so and with the miles I do that can be quite a long time between checks.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
Personally I'd go with Bryan and stick with the points.

But to answer your questions:

1. The Dyna S replaces the points and has no black box
2. The Dyna 2000 does have a black box and allows you to programme custom advance curves etc
3. Dyna make a range of low impedence coils (eg 3 ohm vs std 5 ohm) but these will draw more power from your charging circuit so you had better be sure that it's up to it! Search on www.sohc4.net/forums for "Dyna coil" or similar as there is  loads of info on this over there.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »
Thanks again for the replies.
Looks like the favorite is to stick with the points. I just wanted to know if the replacement by an electronics system was the usual route for these bikes. I don't really mind setting up a points system as I have the tools and pleanty of patience

Cheers

Seamus

PS I will be asking more questions soon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal