Other Stuff > Misc / Open

"Cafe Racers"

<< < (2/5) > >>

philward:
Ref binning good parts to make a cafe racer - a lot of the bikes that they are made of have scrap standard (expensive) parts like mudguards that they don't need to use on the cafe racer build - that helps the decision to build that sort of bike. Building back to standard is expensive! And it saves scapping old Honda's but as you say, doesn't justify the price - but it doesn't mead they et the price they ask - I have just sold a K6 cafe racer that had total ground up build (it was a started cafe racer project when I got it) - put it up for £4250 and it went for £3750 (and then knocked another £100 off as it turned out the speedo was duff) - see picture

Trigger:
Most of these cafe racer are just for looks. I have never seen one run right with pods on. Phil had the right idea with keeping the air box.
I will sell mine off in the spring as we are out of room and i need to build up 2 standard bikes. When i built RUF, it was a bit of a experiment to see if i could get a 750 to handle better than a standard one and all the parts were just laying around for the build. I will be sorry to see RUF go as for a hack about 750, it is one of the best handling old bikes i have ever had for twisty country roads.

ka-ja:
As already pointed out, "restoring" as a cafe-racer can be sometimes cheaper (and easier to find good parts) than a standard rebuild, but each to their own, I love my £4000 pound cafe rebuild, and I had already built it as a cafe racer in 1985, but I don't decry those who want original headed bolts, or the original harness routing and cable clips. Cafe racers have been around since the 1960's, some good, some bad, mine was a 500cc Velocette then, but they are merely an expression of the owner's personal ideas, that is why my 460 Yoshi has a sticker on it   -made not bought-

SumpMagnet:
I like the Cafe racer look..... but .... I wouldn't expect taking a classic and swapping bits over to make it hugely more valuable.

I am going to go down the light Cafe racer look with my project as I lack an original seat, and have bars that were never going to sit right. But....I won;t be chopping the frame rails off, or making any changes that would prevent a return to completely original in the future.

And the VERY first thing I bought for it was an original airbox :) I have had pod filter before, and while you can get the thing to run right without too much difficulty....it's only running right at part of the rev range. Hence my desire to get my paws on a proper airbox!

philward:

--- Quote from: Trigger on October 24, 2020, 07:49:55 PM ---Most of these cafe racer are just for looks. I have never seen one run right with pods on. Phil had the right idea with keeping the air box.
I will sell mine off in the spring as we are out of room and i need to build up 2 standard bikes. When i built RUF, it was a bit of a experiment to see if i could get a 750 to handle better than a standard one and all the parts were just laying around for the build. I will be sorry to see RUF go as for a hack about 750, it is one of the best handling old bikes i have ever had for twisty country roads.

--- End quote ---
I actually put the standard air box back on - including the cut off air filter brackets welded back on for reason Graham stated - I had such a long winded job getting the CR750 Rep to run well across the rev range

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version